Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $700B in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
About the Technical Infrastructure Team
On Technical Infrastructure, our mission is to build scale for Thumbtack.
The Technical Infrastructure team is responsible for critical infrastructure that supports our product engineering teams at Thumbtack. This includes core platform microservices, dev tools, frameworks, data infrastructure and ETL pipelines, A/B testing infrastructure, and much more. Our investments in these systems support the growth of Thumbtack’s engineering team and build leverage for product engineers across the company.
This is a deeply technical role, where you will work closely with engineers to architect critical production systems and design a roadmap for our infrastructure in collaboration with other engineering leaders. The team is highly cross-functional, and in this role you will work closely with the product engineering teams to design systems that scale and build tools and frameworks which enhance team productivity.
- Build and grow an amazing engineering team with a strong culture of balancing excellence with moving fast.
- Hire and develop senior technical leaders and managers within the team to scale the organization in the coming months.
- Work with engineering leads within the team as well as cross functional leads from the rest of engineering and product to craft a compelling vision and long term strategy for infrastructure.
- Work closely with other engineering leaders to evolve and continually improve Thumbtack’s engineering culture in a fast-paced growth environment.
- Experience in a senior engineering management role.
- 8-10+ years experience building software at scale.
- Strong leadership, communication, and organizational skills.
- Passion for leading teams, setting vision, and developing highly functioning organizations.
- Passionate about technology and not afraid to write code.
- Experience at a growth-stage consumer tech company.
- Experience with a marketplace business.
- Experience with managing backend/data infrastructure teams at scale.
- Experience with data infrastructure technologies like Spark and Kafka
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace that connects customers who need to get things done with local, skilled professionals who can help. From plumbers and painters to DJs and personal trainers, Thumbtack helps millions of customers find the right professional for their project in over 1,000 categories. Founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $250 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
- Learn more about our culture, benefits, and perks
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Engineers on a mission
- Follow Thumbtack on LinkedIn
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.