Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $700B in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Team
The engineering team in Salt Lake City is responsible for supporting the engineering needs of all operations and go-to-market efforts within Thumbtack. This includes but is not limited to:
- Building data pipelines and ETLs to support the movement of data between our product infrastructure on Amazon and Google clouds and applications in Salesforce, as well as administrative applications for operations teams to access Thumbtack professional and customer data.
- Manage API integrations with third party software to enable larger Pro partners to use Thumbtack seamlessly through their existing tools and systems.
- Building business applications and tools to support sales, success, customer support and trust & safety systems, among others.
This is a deeply technical role, where you will work closely with engineers to architect systems and collaborate with other engineering teams to drive impact. The team is highly cross-functional, and in this role you will work closely with our internal tools team, technical program managers as well as frontline operations and go-to-market teams to scale and build mission critical tools and systems.
- Build and grow an amazing engineering team with a strong culture of balancing excellence with moving fast.
- Hire and develop senior technical leaders and managers within the team to scale the organization in the coming months.
- Work across functions and offices to effectively prioritize the highest impact work within the team’s broad charter.
- Work closely with other engineering leaders to evolve and continually improve Thumbtack’s engineering culture in a fast-paced growth environment.
- Experience in a senior engineering management role.
- 8-10+ years experience building software at scale.
- Strong leadership, communication, and organizational skills.
- Passion for leading teams, setting vision, and developing highly functioning organizations.
- Passionate about technology and not afraid to write code.
“If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.”
- Experience at a growth-stage tech company.
- Experience with managing backend/data infrastructure teams at scale.
- Experience with Salesforce app development.
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $420 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Engineers on a mission
- Follow us on LinkedIn
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.