Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $700B in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
About the Brand Marketing Team
Thumbtack’s 20 person Brand Marketing team is a collaborative group of brand experts, designers, copywriters, and content creators dedicated to bringing the Thumbtack brand to life while supporting the business goals of our partners. The Brand Management sub-team of Brand Managers and Producers lead brand focused initiatives as well as ensure all inbound projects from cross-functional partners are on-brand, executable, and staffed appropriately.
About the Role
This is a unique opportunity. You’ll be an in-house producer at a company that heavily makes use of photo and video for everything from product merchandising to TV commercials. The work you produce will help drive both substantial revenue growth and brand building. Additionally, we have a well resourced team of creatives for you to partner with (Sr. Video Editor, Photographer/Videographer, and the Photo-Video Manager that directs and shoots). We sometimes work with production vendors, but do most of the creative development, production, and post in-house. We like it this way and have fun doing it!
We’re looking for someone that is comfortable being in-house and is a bit of a producer generalist (experience across pre, production, and post - but definitely able to put together and run a medium to large-scale shoot). Sometimes you’ll get your hands dirty as the line producer, but you’ll also need to be able to hire out freelancers to better scale yourself. Internally, you’ll be the face of the photo-video team and will intake and staff projects from cross-functional partners in marketing and product. You’ll have a pulse on the projects, resourcing, and budget of everything photo-video related. If a cross-functional partner gives the photo-video team an incomplete or unclear brief, it’ll be your job to push back and work with them to fill in the missing pieces.
This person will report into the Brand Management Team Lead but will be a close partner to the Photo-Video Manager. Most of your experience should be with video, but we need someone that can produce photoshoots as well. We’re also hoping to create more social first and documentary style content. Check out our TV ads, pro stories, product photography, and recent rebrand to get an idea of our work. We can’t wait to find the right person to help us make more!
- Resource the time of photo-video team members (we do this in Asana)
- Line produce video and photo projects of varying scale
- Source and oversee freelance line and post-production producers when we need more capacity and/or for larger projects
- Track and provide updates on the photo-video team budget
- Collaborate with the Brand Management Team Lead and Photo/Video Manager to prioritize photo/video team spend and time on the right projects
- Create and manage new expense process
- Manage vendor and crew logistics (partner with legal on new contracts/releases, work with finance on paying contractors)
- Oversee post-production (collaborate with the Sr. Editor and potential freelancers to delegate certain responsibilities)
- Be the internal POC for all photo-video team project requests (collaborating with product and marketing partners)
- Create a process for tracking and updating in-product photography (involves overseeing the photo DAM)
- Strong network of photo and video related production freelancers / vendors
- Strong network of post-production related vendors (music, VFX, etc.)
- Experience line producing photo and video shoots
- Experience managing post-production
- Experience managing budgets across multiple projects
- Experience resourcing the time of multiple creatives
- *A portfolio of awesome work*
- Experience in-house (tech company or brand) as well as a freelancer
- Has produced TV spots (or other large scale productions)
- Has produced documentary / or social first style videos
- Experience with Asana
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $250 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.