Have you ever tried to hire a moving company? How about a DJ? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $700B in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
About the Analytics Team
The Analytics team empowers Thumbtack to use data to guide business decisions. We collaborate with partners across the company to solve the most analytically challenging problems -- everything from informing how we set prices across almost a thousand local services categories, to evaluating the impact of a new business model on company performance, to identifying early predictors of high-quality customers. We are a tight-knit, intellectually curious team that is committed to improving Thumbtack and improving each other.
About the Role
Product Analysts at Thumbtack are empowered early on to leverage their critical thinking, interpersonal, and technical skills to make a positive impact on the company. Analysts embed with product teams to support new product feature launches, study the economics of our massive and dynamic marketplace, and help inform strategy. As a Product Analyst, you’ll be be the person responsible for all the analytical needs of an entire team of engineers, designers, and product/marketing managers -- helping empower the team and Thumbtack more broadly to build the best product, as quickly as possible.
Team members’ personal and professional development is a priority for us, and this role is excellent preparation for other analytical and strategic positions in tech. We have a solid track record of preparing team members not only for more senior responsibilities in analytics, but also for diverse roles across product, data science, and marketing.
- Partner with product, growth, marketing, data science, and operations teams to conduct in-depth quantitative analyses that guide strategic decisions
- Explore, hypothesize about, and draw high-impact business insights from our vast data set on millions of annual customers across nearly 1,000 categories of local services
- Help Thumbtack rigorously learn about our users through designing and analyzing A/B tests, market-based experiments, etc.
- Build reports, models, and visualizations that shed light on user experiences and business performance
- Contribute to our team and company data culture through accessible data table design, peer collaboration, coaching, and more
- Passion for problem-solving and critical thinking
- Enthusiasm for data
- Sharp business judgement and the ability to see past the noise
- Strong communicator, attentive listener and compelling explainer
- Graduating with BA/BS degree by June 2019
- Proficiency using Excel, Google Sheets, etc. OR a programming language to analyze large datasets
- Majoring in Economics, Math, Statistics, Computer Science, or other science-related/quantitative field
- Proficiency in SQL, Python, R, SPSS, Stata, Matlab, etc.
- Familiarity with Statistics, Experimental Design and/or Analysis, or Modeling/Machine Learning
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace that connects customers who need to get things done with local, skilled professionals who can help. From plumbers and painters to DJs and personal trainers, Thumbtack helps millions of customers find the right professional for their project in 1,000 unique categories. Founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $250 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.