Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $700B in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
About the Marketing Team
Over the past year, we have completely transformed our user experience and business model, and we are about to enter a phase of company growth that is powered by marketing more than ever before. To enable this, we’re building our growth marketing team, and investing Engineering, Product and Analytics resources to partner with Marketing to build the channels, tools and product experiences that will help drive growth.
About the Role
You’ll start by working with our Analytics partners and our agency to test and optimize our existing national TV strategy to rapidly acquire customers. You’ll work closely with Brand Marketing to define our creative strategy for 2019 and beyond. You’ll then quickly assess our next offline channel opportunities (direct mail, radio/podcast, out of home) and make a plan to test and scale those channels in 2019.
- You’re passionate about offline marketing that seamlessly blends brand and performance goals
- You’re on the cutting edge of offline marketing measurement, with a strong knowledge of where the tools, tech, and strategies that support offline measurement are today and where they’re going
- You’re always analyzing results and actively pushing new initiatives to drive growth and innovation in offline marketing
- You are highly analytical and require proof through numbers
- You’re outgoing, friendly, and connect easily with a diverse range of people
- Coordinate advertising and brand campaigns across multiple channels and support teams while balancing financial performance and brand health metrics.
- Work with advertising measurement tools and partner with research team to continually improve upon analytical success metrics related to advertising performance.
- Test. Relentlessly. We aren’t a set-it-and-forget-it company so experience running a/b tests and the ability to analyze data and quickly make decisions based on what it tells you will be key to your success.
- Collaborate with product management, marketing, and engineering teams to define product requirements and feature developments that support your campaigns. This could include new and innovative ways to plan and optimize large TV buys and/or build a new way to manage/measure ad impressions and response across complex campaigns.
- 5+ years media buying and analytics experience, with at least 3 years planning and buying TV ads.
- Deep knowledge of multi-touch attribution and marketing mix models, viewing channel effectiveness through a holistic lens.
- Balance of brand and performance thinking -- keeping both user journey and growth results in mind at all times.
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in high-volume, fast-paced and analytical environments.
- Strong cross-functional communication, ability to solve problems and address roadblocks with internal teams, external partners, and vendors.
- Familiarity with the suite of tools and vendors around Direct Mail -- from programmatic retargeting (e.g. PebblePost) to printing (e.g. AmazingMail).
- Familiarity with and/or experience with radio or podcast buying.
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $250 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.