Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $700B in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
About the Category Management Team
Service categories are at the heart and soul of Thumbtack. The Category Management team, a subset of our Product team, ensures that our marketplace is effectively serving customers and pros across our hundreds of categories. We do this by developing deep expertise within each category, and generating insights to enable product features, strategic direction, and operational execution.
About the Role
You will own a segment of Thumbtack's categories, and lead these categories to improve user experience and drive growth. You’ll develop features that help customers find the right pro and help pros get hired. You will also lead Category Management team’s partnership with one or more Product teams (e.g. Customer Experience, etc) to scope and implement features that improve the Thumbtack experience across all categories. As a people manager, you will further coach and inspire a team of talented individual contributor team members. We’re looking for a skilled leader who can blend strategic thinking with practical decision-making and rapid execution.
- Develop expertise in assigned categories based on data analytics, user insights, and industry research; translate expertise into roadmap for category growth
- Implement feature improvements in these categories (e.g. customer facing filters, pro pricing structure, pro job preferences)
- Partner with Product teams to identify, scope, and lead projects requiring category feature developments across all of Thumbtack’s categories; projects often involve 10+ cross-functional stakeholders
- Collaborate and develop strong relationships with cross-functional team leaders (e.g. Product Management, Engineering, Analytics, Design, Marketing, Ops)
- Lead and inspire a team of talented individual contributor team members (2 direct reports to start)
- 6+ years of post-undergraduate work experience, preferably in: consumer technology, product, management consulting, finance, analytics, marketing
- Strategic problem solving: develops strategic insights through rigorous quantitative and qualitative analysis; prioritizes insights based on opportunity for Thumbtack
- Results orientation: translates insights into high-impact product tests and initiatives; scopes and manages diverse projects, and delivers outcome against aggressive timelines
- Team leadership: experience with managing direct reports, including defining high-level goals and diving into the day-to-day details
- Excellent communicator, attentive listener and compelling explainer
- Experience in an online marketplace or similar consumer technology company
- Experience in product roles, with a strong desire to step into a business and cross-functional leadership role
- Expertise in or passion for specific Thumbtack categories
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $250 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.