Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $700B in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
About the Brand Marketing Team
Thumbtack’s 20+ person Brand Marketing team is a collaborative group of brand experts, producers, designers, copywriters, and content creators dedicated to bringing the Thumbtack brand to life while supporting the business goals of our partners. The Brand Management team (made up of both Brand Managers and Producers) sits alongside the creative functions. Brand Managers help drive brand focused initiatives as well as ensure all inbound projects from cross-functional partners are on-brand, executable, and staffed appropriately. In particular, you’ll partner with the Pro Marketing team to bring to life campaigns, programs, and events to help our pros get hired.
About the Role
This role is unique. At Thumbtack, Brand Managers are essentially Product Managers for a team of creatives and brand experts. They own brand strategy but also the implementation of creative work (part brand marketer, part producer). You’ll personally drive brand-led initiatives and be a key partner to cross-functional teams that require creative resources on their projects (landing pages, email programs, paid ads, videos, event collateral, etc.). Strategy will always be tied to execution--you’ll see projects through from brief to delivery and work with an awesome team of creatives make compelling work happen.
If you’re a brand expert, and enjoy both being more hands-on and closely collaborating with creatives, this job is for you. Example projects that Brand Managers have led include: Redesign of our home-page, managing the launch and announcement strategy of our new brand, doing a segmentation of our pro-side marketplace users, and working with our Pro Marketing team on the strategy and execution of a 600-person pro event.
As the Brand Manager for the Pro side of our marketplace (e.g. the painters, DJs, and photographers that make Thumbtack possible), one of your closest partners will be the Pro Marketing Team. Pro Marketing includes acquisition, product and lifecycle marketing, sales enablement, and pro community. They create programs and content to help pros find success using Thumbtack. You’ll help prioritize, staff, and manage their brand and creative marketing projects. Before the work begins, you’ll be responsible for ensuring clear creative briefs. Overall, it’ll be your job to ensure consistent brand strategy, messaging, and visuals across major brand touchpoints. You’ll also make decisions about how to best resource designers, writers, and freelancers across sometimes competing project priorities.
What you’ll work on:
- Define our Pro brand positioning in partnership with the PMM team who recently conducted an extensive competitive analysis
- Help plan and execute our next Self Made pro event in 2019
- Produce content and messaging for upcoming marketing programs and product launches
- Audit the expression of the Pro brand across marketing and product touchpoints
- Pro Brand building: Serve as business owner for all brand research and tracking studies. Partner with the Pro marketing team to better understand and track aided awareness, perception of our brand against competitors, and sentiment towards Thumbtack. Overtime, you’ll proactively identify ways to build brand awareness and improve brand consistency in both marketing and product.
- Creative brief development: Work with marketing stakeholders (they’ll write the first draft) to iterate thoughtful, well-articulated creative briefs that lead to best in class creative executions. Alter and expand brief templates for specific channels and mediums as you see fit. Ensure clarity, success metrics, etc. and build from cross-functional input before formally briefing the internal creative team on execution.
- Project Resourcing: Teams across the company brief our team for strategy, messaging, design, and content (sometimes all at once). You are responsible for gatekeeping brand marketing team resources and also thinking about how to smartly resource projects. We need some to help define what types of content the brand team is best suited to create (vs. teams like support content, learning content, content strategy, or freelancer resources).
- Producer: Once a project is ready, you’ll resource creatives and see the project through delivery (on-strategy, on-budget, on-time). Provide general project management, budget tracking, timelines, stakeholder reviews, etc.
- Know the Pro: Above everyone on the Brand Marketing team, you should know the audience better than anyone, and be that voice in briefings, reviews and in looking at the results of our work.
- Experience writing clear briefs
- Experience managing complex marketing or brand projects
- Experience working closing with Product Marketing Managers or on product launches
- Creative empathy: knows how to work well with creatives (writers, designers, etc.)
- A portfolio or track record of shipping awesome work
- A background in both brand marketing and creative producing/project management
- Experience with Asana
- Experience with Events or Experiential Marketing
- Experience developing customer personas or other qualitative research
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With nearly 1,000 different categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, DJs, personal trainers, even piano teachers. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $250 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.****