Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every zip code in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
The Thumbtack kitchen prepares three nutritious, balanced and seasonally inspired meals per day, using primarily locally grown and sustainably sourced ingredients. We are passionate about providing delicious, healthy, and balanced meals and love the role that food plays in bringing the Thumbtack community together on a daily basis. We believe that sharing meals around quality food builds an environment that encourages collaboration and celebrates excellence.
The culture of our kitchen is playful, joyous and creative and we strive to challenge each other and ourselves to prepare the best food possible. We enjoy cooking from our roots as well as taking risks and trying new things.
About the Role
This is an amazing opportunity to be a part of an awesome in-house culinary team with a Monday through Friday schedule, competitive pay a generous benefits package that includes comprehensive health care for you and your family as well as a $1250 per year education stipend and $450 per quarter to spend on Thumbtack services. We take pride in cooking a wide variety of foods, sourcing our produce from local farms, cooking everything from scratch and having a lot of fun while we’re working hard!
The Line Cook will work closely with a tight-knit team to prepare daily changing lunch menus for approximately 330 (and growing) employees of Thumbtack. Individuals in this role will also play an integral part in developing and maintaining kitchen systems such as receiving and proper food storage, FIFO rotation, completing opening and closing checklists, and ensuring that all meals served are delicious, beautiful, and on time. This is an incredible opportunity to be part of a self-operating employee food program with a team of talented individuals. This a fast-paced job in an expanding office environment with lots of room to grow.
- Prepare ingredients and follow instructions in accordance with daily menus
- Properly store and label protein, pantry and produce orders
- Maintain daily upkeep, cleanliness and maintenance of the kitchen
- Set up and break and breakdown of service
- Daily completion of opening and closing checklists
- Ensure time, temperature, and labeling standards
- Contribute to a positive and supportive working environment focused on Thumbtack and TACKitchen values
- Work with and maintain a sense of urgency
- Practice clear and direct communication
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 2+ years experience in a formal kitchen environment with a passion for food & people
- Positive attitude, sense of humor, strong work ethic, communication & patience
- Attendance & punctuality is required with schedule flexibility determined by needs
- Ability to be self-sufficient & make sound decisions on-the-fly
- Ability to ask for help, and contribute to problem solving
- Basic understanding of professional cooking & knife handling skills, local & seasonal ingredients & diverse cooking styles and cultures
- Understanding and knowledge of safety, sanitation & food handling procedures
- Basic ServSafe certification
- Must be able to lift 50+ pounds
- Must be able to stand for 8+ hours a day
More About Us
Thumbtack is the destination for getting things done—from house remodeling to event planning to music lessons and more. Each year, more than 200,000 professionals across the country service a growing 5 million Thumbtack projects in 1,100+ unique categories. Founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack has raised more than $275 million from Sequoia Capital, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners, Baillie Gifford, and Google Capital.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow Thumbtack on LinkedIn
- Check out TACKitchen on Instagram
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
In the course of the job application process, we may collect the following categories of PI for the purposes of evaluating you as a job applicant:
- Identifiers such as a real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, driver’s license number, passport number, social security number, or other similar identifiers;
- Professional or employment-related information.
We will not collect any additional categories of personal information or use your personal information collected for any other purpose without providing you with additional notice consistent with the CCPA.
Please send a resume to email@example.com along with a brief letter that tells us about you, your working style, what you like to cook and why this job appeals to you.