Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, it’s crazy that you still have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $700B in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
About the IT Team:
Thumbtack’s IT team is passionate about focusing on operational excellence, whether that’s process improvements, automating the hell out of things, or helping find that next amazing app for our internal teams. We understand that if we get this right we can focus more of our attention on the things that matter to the business - namely innovation and becoming a trusted business partner. We strive to deliver the best IT service our users have experienced. Ever.
As with most startup environments you will need to bring not only your technical skills to bear, but also your willingness to take on all challenges big and small. More importantly, you’ll need a positive outlook, good communication skills, and a craving for learning. You will be using your past experiences to help build a world-class IT department and to think outside the box in delivering new services and resources to the business. Are you ready for some fun?
About The Role:
You will be a customer service and support evangelist, working at our Help Desk and assisting our customers via in person walk-ups, support tickets, email and chat. You will work closely with Help Desk staff to build and maintain IT documentation and tools, coordinate schedules, manage IT queues, handle escalations and drive IT initiatives. You love building relationships with customers, business partners and IT team members alike. You have a strong background in Mac, A/V and network troubleshooting. You must have excellent communications skills, a passion for technology and dedication to providing the best end user experience possible, mentoring others and driving best practices within the team.
You will do the following:
- Troubleshoot and resolve advanced issues with hardware, software, applications & networking
- Provide timely resolution of problems and act as escalation point for the team and customers
- Work cross-functionally and represent the team across all groups and organization levels
- Own and drive IT projects and deliverables under the direction of IT leadership
- Help lead and manage A/V events, systems and support
- Maintain security standards (firewalls, patching, two-factor authentication, VPN, access)
- Handle system access and maintain user accounts, passwords, data integrity & security
- Manage relationships with vendors and 3rd party providers
- Oversee inventory, purchasing, asset management and other key processes to support IT
- Participate in interviewing, training and mentoring team members
- 3-5 years experience in IT Support or IT Operations in a professional environment
- Experience with support ticket management and tracking
- Outstanding customer service, problem solving and collaboration abilities
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience communicating with vendors to manage expectations and relationships
- Extensive technical knowledge of Mac OS 10.10x, 10.11x, 10.12x, iOS and Android
- Basic knowledge of Windows 7, Windows 10
- Network fundamentals and support experience (WiFi, VPN, printing)
- Knowledge of endpoint management tools and practices (JAMF Casper)
- Familiar with common access/authentication systems and tools (Okta, AD)
- Experience with G Suite for Business (Gmail, GCal, GDocs, etc)
- Knowledge of video conferencing solutions and support
- Ability to be on-call and work outside of business hours during urgent or maintenance situations
- Some heavy lifting required
- In-depth experience with the following systems - Zendesk, G Suite for Business, Okta, Active Directory, Office 365, JAMF Casper, Puppet, Zoom, Slack, Jira, Confluence
- IT related degree or relevant certifications
- A good sense of humor!