Three Ships Mission
At Three Ships, our mission is to be the #1 content and commerce engine, helping consumers make more informed decisions and connecting them with the right brands.
Your mission is to lead a central team in building out a portfolio of digital products and tech solutions that enable our businesses to aggressively pursue market opportunities and efficiently deliver value to partners and consumers. The Vice President’s mandate will begin with the further development, support, and maintenance of our flagship content publishing product and will expand from there to support the businesses across a variety of product and infrastructure needs. Our goal is to develop a central product tiger team that deeply understands business needs and creates modular solutions that can be further customized and fully owned by distributed product and tech teams within each business.
- Develop, maintain, and prioritize the vision and technology roadmap that maximizes return on investment across our business teams, balancing business value vs. work effort
- Lead a cross-functional team (design, UX, QA, front and back-end development) to deliver the buildout and improvement of the content publishing product
- Coordinate technical product integrations with new site acquisition and partner’s development operations teams
- Work closely with each 3S business GM to (1) advise them on technology issues across their business and special projects, and (2) understand each tech product or solution’s contribution to their financial performance, business value, and context for tech enhancements
- Review website tech infrastructure and identify future-proof solutions for scalability
- Engage with finance and business teams on technical diligence efforts with regards to M&A
- Manage and scale a cross-functional FTE and contract (offshore) team of 6+ individual contributors: UXD, tech lead, 1 - 2 F/E developers, and quality assurance engineers
- This role will report to the Chief Growth Officer
What Your Resume Shows
- 8-10+ years of engineering experience and 5+ years leading engineering teams, ideally in digital media or customer acquisition (preference for leaders who also have product experience, though not required)
- A proven understanding of best full-stack development and engineering practices - including front-end web development, data infrastructure and management, and back-end engineering (e.g., HTML, CSS, JS, API integrations, dev ops, hosting)
- Experience with enterprise tech stack design for start-up organizations
- Familiarity with Wordpress or similar CMS; headless-CMS familiarity, preferred.
- Demonstrated experience working with senior leaders to understand business needs and translate them into tactical products or product features to drive business results
- Track record of managing and recruiting top-notch talent to a cohesive team
- Bachelor’s degree in a technology-oriented discipline (e.g., computer science) or an analytically oriented discipline (e.g. business, economics, statistics, etc.)
- A start-up mentality: entrepreneurial spirit, self-starter, competitive drive, and a strong sense of ownership
- Comfort in a fast-paced and often changing environment
- Alignment with our core values: Act with Focus, Get After It, Build the Team, and Grow Without Limits
Why You Should Join
- Results: Three Ships is a fast-growing, profitable digital media company in the space with triple-digit revenue growth
- Ownership & Impact: We seek talented people with the desire to own and run parts of the business that drive company performance. Those who prove their value quickly earn more responsibility
- Stability: We are privately owned, have a holding period of “forever,” have no debt, and have significant cash to invest
- Market Landscape: The digital marketing landscape is transforming. There’s no better time to be building a business in this space
- Learning: Our team includes leading subject-matter experts in digital (paid media, SEO, content strategy, creative, branding) and business building (business development, partnerships, negotiation, etc.). The opportunity to grow new skills and learn from smart people is endless
- Fun: The team has a high bar for excellence, but also a real interest in each other and making work fun
About our platform: Three Ships has a proven track record of building and scaling profitable digital-first businesses. We see a huge gap between the risk of launching a garage start-up and the boring routine of working in a large corporation to meet quarterly earnings targets. To address this gap, we designed Three Ships as a collection of independent companies whose management teams have literal and figurative ownership to chart the best course for their business. As a private company, we can focus on building long-term value for customers, employees, shareholders, and our communities without the distractions and drama that many large public or PE-owned businesses face.
Benefits: Base salary and performance-based bonus are commensurate with experience, including the opportunity for equity incentive as a member of the leadership team. You will have access to competitive benefits, including health; 401k; a monthly wellness stipend for house cleaning, gym membership, grocery delivery or massages; mobile reimbursement; and an office stocked with snacks, coffee and just about every other beverage you can imagine.
All applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other discriminatory factors. Please note that we do not provide immigration sponsorship for this role. All offers are subject to a background check.