About the role
Threads is looking to hire a Senior Backend Engineer to join our Platform team. You'll build, deploy, monitor, and scale the systems that power our product, with a focus on reliability.
The Platform team is a small group with huge impact, vital to the company's growth and success. Your features and APIs will enable large enterprise contracts. By improving the performance and reliability of our backend, you'll bring Threads to hundreds of thousands of knowledge workers everywhere. You'll create tools and processes that scale the entire team's output and autonomy.
At Threads, we value inclusive, collaborative decision-making. You'll design systems, discuss trade-offs, and review proposals with the entire engineering team. We love approaching problems from first principles, and then prototyping and iterating. You’ll have the scope to make foundational decisions that will scale with the company and our customers.
We all use Threads for our own work. It’s super fulfilling to build a product that we ourselves love, as you build deep empathy with your customers. You also form strong opinions on how the product should work and how the platform should enable it. You’ll contribute your perspectives to product and platform discussions.
What You'll Do
- Build systems that enable reliable and scalable product development, like distributed storage and real-time updates.
- Implement APIs and features that are performant and privacy-aware, like search, archival & retention, and authentication.
- Improve the reliability of all systems with monitoring, logging, alerting, and tracing.
- Automate secure deployments with infrastructure-as-code principles in mind.
- Develop tools that scale the output of the entire engineering team, like code linting/typing/formatting, continuous integration and continuous deployment, cloud development, and testing.
- Create processes that mitigate security risks and protect user privacy and data.
- Mentor and learn from other engineers with collaborative design docs, paired programming, and code reviews.
- Write secure, well-tested, privacy-aware code.
- 3 months: You are ramped up on the codebase and team processes. You have the ability to debug and fix most issues. You complete tasks within well-defined projects with some guidance.
- 6 months: You implement a major feature in a well-defined project with less guidance. You join the on-call rotation. You often weigh in on technical proposals, code reviews, and product discussions.
- 9 months: You own an entire project from gathering requirements to prototyping to production.
Your Growth at Threads
- You may choose to specialize. By 12 months, you may own a large piece of our architecture and go deep into it. As our team and our customer base scale, you continue to scale, maintain, and iterate on that component. In time, you build your own team around it. Example areas of specialization include: Distributed Systems, Developer Productivity, Enterprise Readiness, Infrastructure Automation, Observability, etc.
- You may choose to generalize. By 12 months, you’ve contributed to all parts of the architecture. You provide nuanced feedback on all technical proposals. You weigh global trade offs. You make changes that optimize the entire system. As our team and customer base scale, you are trusted to achieve outcomes in any part of the backend stack -- whatever is most impactful. You’re the technical lead on these projects.
- Note that your growth will likely include aspects of both specialization and generalization!
- It’s an exciting time to join Threads. We’re a small team, so your contributions will have a meaningful impact on the company’s success. As your impact grows, so too does your scope and responsibility. More and more people will rely on your expertise, insight, and context. Your scope will expand past engineering into strategy, recruiting, and culture.
What We Value
- You have 5+ years of professional experience in developing software applications
- You have experience coding, debugging, deploying, and monitoring production systems
- When making technical decisions, you gather requirements, evaluate tradeoffs, and consider edge cases.
- You communicate your technical ideas clearly, with an open mind and humility.
- You value collaboration, mentorship, and feedback. You recognize that we can drive bigger, faster outcomes as a team than alone.
- At the same time, you’re able to work independently. You can unblock yourself by researching solutions, experimenting, and asking for help.
- You are willing to join an on-call rotation. We focus on making the on-call rotation as sustainable as possible. We constantly improve the pain points from being on-call.
- Experience with AWS, Kubernetes, Docker, and Terraform or similar technologies
- Experience with Node.js
- Experience building, configuring or using distributed systems and distributed storage.
Founded in 2017, we are building a modern forum for work designed for teams to inform, discuss, and make decisions at scale. For leaders at every level of a company, Threads is the platform that best delivers on decision making by tapping into the collective wisdom of an entire team, providing everyone with a voice to assure better business outcomes.
We believe that the future of work is diverse and distributed, and supporting this type of workforce means creating an inclusive culture that fosters open communication, increased creativity, and improved business decisions. We live these values as a company, and in how we build Threads.