Who We Are
The name ThousandEyes was born from two big ideas: the power to see what’s not ordinarily possible, and the ability to collect intelligence from vantage points as diverse and global as the Internet. As organizations depend on cloud services, the Internet has become their defacto network connecting cloud applications to users. Our Internet and cloud intelligence platform is like a ‘Google maps of the Internet’, providing the only collectively powered view of digital experiences end-to-end. We enable our customers made up of the world’s largest and fastest-growing brands, to identify problems before they impact revenue, brand reputation, or employee productivity.
In August 2020, Cisco Systems completed the acquisition of ThousandEyes, which now forms the ThousandEyes Business Unit within Cisco’s Network Services Business Group, and is a foundational component of Cisco’s growing Observability business.
About The Role
The Datastores team is focused on our platform’s mission critical datastores (think ElasticSearch, Kafka, MongoDB and MySQL). The team is responsible for all aspects of our platform’s datastores, such as availability, performance, change management, capacity planning, monitoring and emergency response. As a Senior Site Reliability Engineer on the team you will focus on all aspects of reliability for the ThousandEyes’ platform’s datastore services, maintaining a constantly growing infrastructure capable of handling a very high volume of incoming data per day while operating at a multi-region scale.
We’re looking for talented engineers with a software or operations background, experienced in designing, analyzing and troubleshooting large-scale high available datastores systems. You must be willing to work closely with our application development teams to ensure the reliability and performance of our infrastructure.
What You'll Do
- Collaborate and work closely with the software engineers to ensure that the ThousandEyes platform infrastructure and services are designed and optimized for availability, latency and performance
- Design, implement and maintain elastic and resilient datastores that support our platform as we grow to multi-region scale.
- Design, deploy, and maintain cloud native services in AWS and GCP that are elastic and resilient to failure.
- Drive and build automation wherever possible, enabling our infrastructure and platforms to scale effortlessly. Think self service.
- Participate in and contribute to improve our 24x7 incident response and on-call rotation.
- Capacity planning for the infrastructure and platform and help teams prepare for growth.
- Troubleshoot and debug issues across our infrastructure and platform services.
- Ability to design and implement scalable and well tested solutions, with focus on datastores.
- Ability to write high quality code in Python, Go, or equivalent languages.
- Strong Infrastructure as Code skills, ideally with Terraform and Kubernetes.
- Good knowledge of cloud provider managed services (ideally AWS), and how they can be leveraged in our context.
- Good understanding of Unix/Linux systems, the kernel, system libraries, file systems, and client-server protocols.
- Strong communication and documentation skills.
- Strong sense of ownership, drive and an obsessive attention to detail.
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
#WeAreCisco, where each person is unique, but we bring our talents to work as a team and make a difference powering an inclusive future for all.
We embrace digital, and help our customers implement change in their digital businesses. Some may think we’re “old” (36 years strong) and only about hardware, but we’re also a software company. And a security company. We even invented an intuitive network that adapts, predicts, learns and protects. No other company can do what we do –you can’t put us in a box! But “Digital Transformation” is an empty buzz phrase without a culture that allows for innovation, creativity, and yes, even failure (if you learn from it.)
Day to day, we focus on the give and take. We give our best, give our egos a break, and give of ourselves (because giving back is built into our DNA.) We take accountability, bold steps, and take difference to heart. Because without diversity of thought and a dedication to equality for all, there is no moving forward.
So, you have colourful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool. Pop culture geek? Many of us are. Passion for technology and world changing? Be you, with us.
We recognize that diverse teams make the strongest teams, and we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply.
Cisco COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements
The health and safety of Cisco's employees, customers, and partners is a top priority. Our goal is to protect and mitigate the spread of COVID-19 infection for strong business resiliency during the pandemic. Therefore, Cisco may require new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 if the role requires business-related travel, meeting with customers/partners (including visiting third-party sites on behalf of Cisco), attending trade events, and Cisco office entry, unless otherwise prohibited by applicable law, and in countries where COVID-19 vaccination is legally required. The company will consider legally required accommodations/exceptions for medical, religious, and other reasons as per the requirements of the role and in accordance with applicable law. Additional information will be provided to candidates about the requirements and accommodation process at the offer time based on region.
When available, the salary range posted for this position reflects the projected hiring range for new hire salaries in U.S. locations. For non-sales roles, the hiring ranges reflect base salary and do not include bonuses, equity, or benefits. Hiring ranges for sales positions include base and incentive target, and do not include equity or benefits. Individual pay is determined by the candidate's hiring location and additional factors, including but not limited to skillset, experience, and relevant education, certifications or training. Applicants may not be eligible for the full salary range based on their U.S. hiring location. The recruiter can share more details about compensation for the role in your location during the hiring process.