Who We Are
The name ThousandEyes was born from two big ideas: the power to see things not ordinarily possible and the ability to collect insights from a multitude of vantage points. As organisations rely more on cloud services and the Internet, the network has become a black box they can't understand. Our Internet and cloud intelligence platform delivers the only collectively powered view of the Internet, cloud and SaaS platforms, helping enterprises and service providers work together to identify problems before it impacts revenue, damages brand reputation, or halts employee productivity.
In August 2020, Cisco Systems completed the acquisition of ThousandEyes, which now forms the ThousandEyes Business Unit within Cisco’s Network Services Business Group, and is a foundational component of Cisco’s growing Observability business.
About the position
We are looking for a Senior Data Engineer superhero who is passionate about building next generation Analytics infrastructures and products. You will work directly with our data infrastructure, datasets and analytics tools that are used by Product, Engineering, Marketing, Sales, Finance and Customer Success teams every day.
You will contribute to a variety of exciting projects that range from designing robust and fully automated data pipelines to building ML-based applications for improving company-wide productivity and the ThousandEyes product. You have a passion for designing, implementing and operating stable, scalable and efficient solutions that move and analyze large data volumes quickly. You are also a self-starter who is comfortable with ambiguity, pays close attention to detail and has the ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
In the Analytics team we are excited about the impact data can have in our business, product and our customers’ experience – we hope you share our enthusiasm!
- BS/MS with quantitative focus (e.g. Economics, Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Statistics) or equivalent practical experience
- 5+ years of experience in data engineering, software engineering, or other related roles
- 3+ years experience operating databases (e.g. Redshift, MySQL, MongoDB) and advanced query authoring & tuning
- 3+ years of dimensional data modeling & schema design in data warehouses
- Expertise in one or more programming languages (ideally Scala, Java, or Python)
- Experience designing, implementing and maintaining production grade data pipelines
- Knowledge of cloud-based production grade data architectures (e.g. AWS EC2, EMR, Glue, S3, Redshift)
- An eye for automation and instrumentation in all data-related aspects
- Work experience in an interdisciplinary / cross-functional field
- Working experience in SaaS companies
- Experience developing and operating large scale big data technologies (e.g. Apache Spark, Presto, HDFS, Apache Kafka, Apache Druid)
- Experience with ETL tooling (e.g. Airflow)
- Experience performing quantitative analysis and using data visualization tools to deliver dashboards at scale
- Strong cross-functional and interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to communicate technical content to general audiences
- Entrepreneurial in nature - able to keep moving initiatives forward in ambiguous situations
We Are Cisco
#WeAreCisco, where each person is unique, but we bring our talents to work as a team and make a difference. Here’s how we do it.
We embrace digital, and help our customers implement change in their digital businesses. Some may think we’re “old” (30 years strong!) and only about hardware, but we’re also a software company. And a security company. An AI/Machine Learning company. We even invented an intuitive network that adapts, predicts, learns and protects. No other company can do what we do – you can’t put us in a box!
But “Digital Transformation” is an empty buzz phrase without a culture that allows for innovation, creativity, and yes, even failure (if you learn from it.)
Day to day, we focus on the give and take. We give our best, we give our egos a break and we give of ourselves (because giving back is built into our DNA.) We take accountability, we take bold steps, and we take difference to heart. Because without diversity of thought and a commitment to equality for all, there is no moving forward.
So, you have colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool.