Who We Are
The name ThousandEyes was born from two big ideas: the power to see things not ordinarily possible and the ability to collect insights from a multitude of vantage points. As organisations rely more on cloud services and the Internet, the network has become a black box they can't understand. Our Internet and cloud intelligence platform delivers the only collectively powered view of the Internet, cloud and SaaS platforms, helping enterprises and service providers work together to identify problems before it impacts revenue, damages brand reputation, or halts employee productivity.
In August 2020, Cisco Systems completed the acquisition of ThousandEyes, which now forms the ThousandEyes Business Unit within Cisco’s Network Services Business Group, and is a foundational component of Cisco’s growing Observability business.
What You’ll Do
The Cloud Agent Network Operations Center (NOC) manages the hundreds of servers around the globe which run the ThousandEyes cloud agents. As a Senior Linux Systems Engineer, you’ll work with data centers, ISPs, and managed service providers around the world to grow, support, and troubleshoot our worldwide fleet of linux servers.
Specifically, you will...
- Work with Datacenter and cloud providers around the world to provision hardware remotely.
- Given a set of hardware requirements, explore globally for new locations where ThousandEyes can deploy services.
- Maintain existing relationships with our current vendors, including expanding, cancelling, and renegotiating services.
- Announce and work with internal teams and external vendors to perform scheduled and unscheduled maintenance.
- Troubleshoot and fix server and networking issues.
- Order and coordinate provider capacity/service upgrades as needed based on capacity planning.
- Use internally provided tools to manage inventory, track provider issues, and gather metrics.
- Provide emergency support in an on-call rotation.
- Understanding of typical server configuration for common linux distributions, including Ubuntu.
- Good knowledge of bash utilities and basic scripting.
- 3+ years experience working with server providers including Datacenters and Managed Hosting Providers.
- Strong networking skills and troubleshooting abilities.
- Comfortable with linux and linux troubleshooting tools, including tcpdump, netstat, and strace.
- Understanding and experience with colocation/dedicated server providers and ISPs and ordering their services.
- Understanding of PC and server hardware, network bandwidth, and billing methods.
- Fluent english both spoken and written.
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We Are Cisco
#WeAreCisco, where each person is unique, but we bring our talents to work as a team and make a difference. Here’s how we do it.
We embrace digital, and help our customers implement change in their digital businesses. Some may think we’re “old” (30 years strong!) and only about hardware, but we’re also a software company. And a security company. An AI/Machine Learning company. We even invented an intuitive network that adapts, predicts, learns and protects. No other company can do what we do – you can’t put us in a box!
But “Digital Transformation” is an empty buzz phrase without a culture that allows for innovation, creativity, and yes, even failure (if you learn from it.)
Day to day, we focus on the give and take. We give our best, we give our egos a break and we give of ourselves (because giving back is built into our DNA.) We take accountability, we take bold steps, and we take difference to heart. Because without diversity of thought and a commitment to equality for all, there is no moving forward.
So, you have colorful hair? Don’t care. Tattoos? Show off your ink. Like polka dots? That’s cool.