At the Academy of Thought and Industry we are creating a deeply motivating adolescent program that inspires and empowers students to live meaningful lives. It’s an important and exciting challenge that requires tremendous creativity and ingenuity. Come join our new Hollywood Beach community today!
In this Part-Time Assistant Teacher (Middle School and High School Paraprofessional) role, you will work with adolescents in our Middle School and High School classrooms. This is a great opportunity to learn about the Montessori method, as you will learn from experienced teachers at all levels. We are looking for someone who can provide extended day coverage and help support our classrooms, including assistance with classroom preparation and willing to pitch in wherever needed!
This role is a great opportunity to get your foot in the door at the Academy of Thought and Industry, as many of our exceptional Assistant Guides ultimately grow to take on Lead Guide roles over time, thanks to our MACTE-accredited Montessori training program.
This position is a part-time Monday - Friday, from 12:30pm to 5:30pm and includes a competitive rate of pay.
We would love to talk to you if you:
- Are familiar with the development of adolescents at the middle school and high school level
- Have strong interpersonal skills and a customer-service oriented mindset
- Are willing to grow and learn
- Have a valid negative TB test (in the last 12 months) or are willing to take prior to your state date
- Have a valid CPR certification or are willing to become certified prior to start date
- Have completed a recent finger printing and background check or are willing to do so prior to start date
The Academy of Thought and Industry is an innovative new middle and high school model that inspires, empowers, and connects adolescents to our world so that they can build meaningful lives—now and into adulthood. Too often, teens experience school as a space that hinders them from reaching their goals. The ATI program is designed to help students discover and follow the paths they truly want to pursue.
Students develop and achieve ambitious personal goals through a combination of a humanistic curriculum, individual passion projects, and one-on-one coaching. Through our program, students build a critical understanding of our world and how it developed, and then connect to the world by applying their foundational knowledge to real and meaningful work.
These 5 core values are embedded through every area of our program:
- The Pursuit of Knowledge: We strive to put facts first and gain wisdom through both scholarship and experiential learning. We use evidence-based reasoning to explore, interrogate and debate the big ideas that have shaped our world, seeking what is true and connecting those ideas to our own lives and contexts. We pursue knowledge not as an academic exercise, but to improve our judgment and actions in the world.
- The Dignity of Work: Purposeful work is central to a life well-lived. In choosing our work, we direct our energies intentionally toward our goals, bring structure and focus to our lives, and reshape our worlds. Through cultivating our capacity for work, as well as our appreciation of the rewards of work well done, we develop a character capable of genuine effort and great achievement.
- The Power of Agency: We believe that human beings, using their reason, judgment and passion, are capable of leading self-directed lives of profound meaning and worth. We seek to always acknowledge and respect our own power to act, and to develop and exercise our capacity to act with purpose, integrity and conviction in pursuit of our aspirations.
- The Responsibility and Joyfulness of Community: We recognize the value of deep, honest relationship, and we offer others an authentic self that makes such relationships possible. We enliven and enrich each other through our choice to share norms, practices and expectations. In doing so, we experience the joy of belonging and develop a deep and abiding sense of love and responsibility for the communities we embrace.
- The Courage to Live Wholeheartedly: To fully engage with the world requires a tremendous amount of vulnerability and moral courage. In order to become our best selves, we bravely face our insecurities and have the courage to care deeply about our values. We embrace the everlasting process of personal growth hat is the hallmark of being human, and that allows us to live wholeheartedly.
If you're as excited about this endeavor as we are, please apply below and include a detailed cover letter explaining your qualifications and interest in this role.