About Thirty Madison
Thirty Madison is building the premier healthcare company for people with chronic health issues. Through our novel approach to care delivery, powered by our proprietary platform and brands built around specific chronic conditions, we combine the best of specialist-level healthcare with the convenience of telemedicine.
In just three years, we’ve built four brands on top of our platform: Keeps (for men’s hair loss), Cove (for migraine), Evens (for GI conditions), and our newest brand, Picnic (for allergies). We’re growing rapidly, recently raised a $140m Series C, and are backed by some of the best healthcare and consumer investors, including HealthQuest Capital, Mousse Partners, Bracket Capital, Polaris Partners, Johnson & Johnson, Maveron, Northzone, among others.
This year, we are honored to become Great Place to Work certified and be included on Built In's 2021 list of Best Places To Work in New York City, and Best Midsize Companies To Work For. This recognition is a true testament to our hardworking team and company culture. As we continue to grow, we pride ourselves on finding passionate individuals who truly embody our core values and mission each and every day.
There’s not a better time to join Thirty Madison. As our business has grown dramatically, so has our team, tripling to 300+ employees this year. We have exciting plans to change the future of healthcare, and we’ll need to continue to attract and retain incredible people to execute on those plans. To help do that, we’re looking for a General Counsel. This hire’s responsibilities will span numerous areas, from ensuring the company operates in a compliant and consumer friendly manner to actively participating in business development negotiations and corporate structuring discussions to managing general corporate governance.
The ideal candidate is a highly qualified, business-minded attorney with experience at emerging companies that operate in a highly regulated space. We look for people that are able to work well cross-functionally, both internally with teams ranging from tech to customer experience and externally with partners and vendors. We are an early stage company, so everyone should be ready to roll their sleeves up and work towards creative solutions.
You’re the right person for this role if you are:
- An experienced lawyer who thinks of creative solutions to problems in an innovative and fast moving space
- Enthusiastic about digging into the minutiae of complex healthcare compliance and regulatory issues one day and negotiating with the management of Payors and Fortune 500 partners the next
- Able to balance and manage risk while maintaining a nimble and innovative culture
- A fast learner who can get up to speed on a range of issues quickly while also knowing how to work effectively with outside counsel
- Effortlessly able to juggle multiple initiatives while prioritizing work to meet deadlines
- Excited to be part of a growing team, take initiative, and drive results
- A team player with no ego who is eager to dig into tough problems and come up with creative solutions
Some things you will work on:
- Work closely with stakeholders to provide thoughtful, appropriate legal and business support cross-functionally
- Advise leadership both on strategy and compliance regarding disruptive business initiatives
- Continually improve the efficiency and effectiveness of legal support for the entire organization, including assisting in developing and building legal department systems, processes, and tools
- Coordinate and participate in internal training on Legal Department policies and procedures
- Negotiation, drafting and management of commercial agreements, preparation of template documents, policies, and other general document/records management
- Advising internal stakeholders of potential compliance risk areas and collaborating cross-functionally on compliance matters to ensure creation of and adherence with internal policies, as well as applicable laws, regulations, and standards such as state telemedicine laws, anti-kickback, anti-corruption, data privacy, HIPAA compliance, FTC compliance, FDA compliance
- Oversee day-to-day operations of Thirty Madison’s compliance program by supporting colleagues and business partners in compliance-related matters
- Designing, implementing and maintaining policies, processes, programs, and supporting infrastructure to ensure that Thirty Madison meets applicable statutory and regulatory requirements
- Managing and conducting regular enterprise and compliance risk assessment processes, including development of corrective action plans, oversight of resolution of issues, and provision of general and strategic guidance
- Creation and delivery of reports to the Executive team and Board on compliance-related issues and updates
- Manage corporate functions such as board level reporting and cap table management
- Own the relationship with outside counsel across functions, from general corporate to healthcare to IP
- Lead and support the corporate development process, including diligence, debt, and equity financings
You should have:
- 7+ years at a top law firm and/or in house experience at an early stage healthcare company.
- JD Degree
- Member in good standing of at least one state bar
- Passion for healthcare is a must. Experience in telemedicine, pharma, payors, health networks, or similar a plus
- Great communication skills and comfort interacting at the board level
- Superb judgement in evaluating and managing risk
- Expertise in contracts and comfort with negotiation
- Excellent problem solving skills with developed commercial judgment
- Previous experience working with outside counsel is a plus
- Expertise in one or more of the following areas: healthcare, privacy, HIPAA, digital health, FDA regulations
- Eagerness to join a startup and build it from the ground up
Benefits for full-time Thirty Madison employees:
- Competitive salary packages and career development opportunities
- 100% coverage on many health, dental, and vision insurance plans
- 401k with a match, commuter benefits, and FSA
- Budget for the technology tools you need — whether it’s a laptop, monitor, or special software
- Annual $750 vacation stipend and $750 wellness allowance
We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions. Contact us to request accommodation.
How we are managing through the COVID pandemic and its impact on our team?
These are unprecedented times and we understand COVID-19 is impacting everyone differently. Our primary goal from the beginning of the pandemic has been to ensure employee safety. We went from optional to mandatory work-from-home very quickly in early March, and we have told employees that they can work remotely to allow them to plan accordingly.
We have also rolled out several initiatives to help our team successfully navigate the uncertainty associated with COVID-19. These initiatives have included providing funds for home office improvements, medical reimbursements, free meditation/mindfulness tools, mandatory “Me Days” away from work, company-wide Refresh days off, and fun opportunities to connect live with teammates each week (such as virtual escape rooms). We continue to examine different benefits, tools, and processes that best support our employees as we continue to work remotely and eventually begin transitioning back to the office.
*Please be aware that there are fraudulent entities who are claiming to be affiliated with Thirty Madison in order to trick job seekers into divulging personal information or making payments based on false representations while impersonating Thirty Madison. These entities solicit money and personal information under the guise of offering you a position with Thirty Madison. The scammers use many methods to perpetuate these scams, including using Thirty Madison’s trademarks on their correspondence to potential victims. Thirty Madison takes the safety and integrity of those seeking employment with us very seriously and we work cooperatively with our legal team, security department and local authorities to address this issue. If you receive a job offer that claims to be from Thirty Madison, please take steps to confirm that it is legitimate by reviewing the offer carefully and contacting Thirty Madison directly if you have any concerns at all. Please note that Thirty Madison will never ask you for bank account or credit card information, and Thirty Madison will not charge you money to apply for a job with Thirty Madison.*