Title: 2023 Intern Applied Mathematician/Computational Scientist
Company: Samsung Research America (SRA)
Lab: Think Tank Team
Location: Mountain View, CA
The Think Tank Team is an interdisciplinary collective of researchers, designers, scientists, and engineers located in Mountain View, CA, and representing a diverse skill set including electrical engineering, computer engineering, signal processing, machine learning, computer vision, visual design, interaction design, industrial design, optics, physics, and more. We work and play as we create Samsung’s future products, encompassing a unique mix of research with a diverse and dynamic approach to early product development. As a team, we have a strong track record of driving concepts to production, we work on a wide variety of time scales, advancing science to working technology, developing new or improved product designs, and creating new experiences.
We believe that design and creativity are the core duties of every member of our team. We are creating products that will impact the lives of how millions do what they do, but better. If you want to create and build new devices and technologies, can learn on the fly, delve deep into solving complex problems as you work closely with others, and creatively approach design and engineering tasks at all scales, then we invite you to apply.
See some of our work at http://thinktankteam.info/
As an Applied Mathematician / Computational Scientist, you will develop algorithms and computational tools to extract meaning from real-world data and solve optimization problems. Working across a variety of research topics, you will contribute to the generation and the successful demonstration of impactful new technologies and user experiences. You will have the opportunity to dive deeply into ongoing projects and lend your expertise to improve underlying systems. You will be expected to collaborate closely with other TTT members and communicate your efforts with the whole team as you make meaningful contributions to ongoing and new projects.
- B.S. or M.S. (preferred) in applied mathematics, physics, mathematical/computational physics, or another math-intensive science or engineering field
- Experience developing advanced data analysis techniques, signal processing solutions, or control algorithms that do not rely on machine learning
- Theoretical knowledge and practical skills in several of the following areas:
- convex optimization, inverse problems, dimensionality reduction, compressive sensing, computational imaging, high-dimensional signal processing, statistical estimation, combinatorial algorithms, high-performance computing, etc.
- Advanced coding and simulation skills in numerical environments such as Python (numpy, scipy, etc), Julia, MATLAB, etc.
- Ability to translate ideas from research articles to functioning prototypes
- Experience in general software development: Python, C/C++ or C#
- Depth of experience in multiple signal domains (audio/ultrasound, RF, imaging, tomography, etc.)
- Experience acquiring data experimentally
- Awareness of cutting-edge research results in mathematical optimization and signal processing
- Prototype algorithms in numerical environments and translate them into practical implementations that can run in a computationally efficient manner
- Think deeply about data sources and help colleagues acquire optimal data to achieve project goals
- Develop and optimize algorithms to run on DSP/GPU/SIMD architectures
- Hands-on prototyping of electronics and embedded computing
We strive to create products that will impact the lives of millions, and we believe that the first step on the path is to show real prototypes. We work on a wide variety of time scales, advancing science to working technology, developing new products, and creating new experiences. We believe that design and creativity are core duties of every member of our team. We work on problems that are as diverse as they are challenging: e.g. robotics, development of novel sensors and appliances, virtual reality environments, and the development of techniques to allow us all to better interact with the world around us.
You must be passionate about creating new devices and technologies, and ready to learn on the fly, solve complex problems, work closely with others, and creatively approach engineering tasks at all scales. We believe a person’s work speaks for itself, and we welcome applications from everyone with the right drive, attitude, and skills. If you believe that you fit this latter description, but don’t quite meet all of the requirements listed above, but do have an equivalent set of technical skills, we’d still like to hear from you. Please send a cover letter describing your particular situation.
If this is something you would love to do, let us know.
Show us what you have built, and tell us what you would like to build next!
Our total rewards programs are designed to motivate and engage exceptional talent. The hourly pay rate range for roles at this level is $28 and $70, but may be higher or lower in other states due to geographic differentials in the labor market. Within the hourly pay rate range, individual rates depend on a number of factors—including the role’s function and location as well as the individual’s knowledge, skills, experience, education and training.
Essential Job Functions
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, and frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers.
Samsung Research America is committed to complying with all Federal, State and local laws related to the employment of qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part of the employment selection process, please contact the recruiter or email SRA_HR@samsung.com.
Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity
Samsung Research America is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
For more information regarding protection from discrimination under Federal law for applicants and employees, please refer to the links below.