Title: 2022 Intern Software Engineer - Think Tank Team
Company: Samsung Research America (SRA)
Lab: Think Tank Team (TTT)
Location: Mountain View, CA
The Think Tank Team is an interdisciplinary collective of researchers, designers, scientists, and engineers located in Mountain View, CA, and representing a diverse skill set including electrical engineering, computer engineering, signal processing, machine learning, computer vision, visual design, interaction design, industrial design, optics, physics, and more. We work and play as we create Samsung’s future products, encompassing a unique mix of research with a diverse and dynamic approach to early product development. As a team, we have a strong track record of driving concepts to production, we work on a wide variety of time scales, advancing science to working technology, developing new or improved product designs, and creating new experiences.
We believe that design and creativity are the core duties of every member of our team. We are crafting products that will impact the lives of how millions do what they do, but better. If you want to create and build new devices and technologies, can learn on the fly, delve deep into solving complex problems as you work closely with others, and creatively approach design and engineering tasks at all scales, then we invite you to apply.
See some of our work at http://thinktankteam.info/
The Think Tank Team seeks outstanding software engineers who have a proven track-record of applying their work to real-world situations. We value creativity, curiosity, and persistence as well as solid technical skills.
As a software engineer you will create new experiences and technologies, learn on the fly, solve complex problems, work closely with others, and creatively approach design and engineering tasks at all scales. You will propose projects to develop new technologies and/or user experiences that address real-life problems, informed by a combination of your own expertise, that of other team members, and enabled by emerging software or hardware; and stay current with research developments in your field, keeping yourself and your colleagues intellectually stimulated at the frontiers of the art.
- Studying Computer Science, Engineering, or related field.
- Experience must include multiple platforms: Desktop, mobile, web and cloud.
- Experience with Android development: Java/Kotlin.
- Experience using back-end frameworks (ie. NodeJS, Flask, etc.).
- Experience connecting different platforms and services (ie. REST API, WebSockets, etc.).
- Experience creating front-end interfaces (ie. Qt, React, Angular, etc.).
- Experience architecting cloud services in at least one major providers like AWS, GCP or Azure.
- Attention to UX/Design details, experience thinking about how prototypes look and feel even at early stages.
Must have at least one familiarity skill from the list below
- Familiarity with prototyping new hardware / software integrations using prototyping platforms (ie. Arduino, BeagleBone, Raspberry Pi, etc.).
- Familiarity with high performance computing (ie. CUDA, OpenCL, ArrayFire, etc.).
- Familiarity with digital signal processing and sensor data signal conditioning.
- Familiarity with 3D development software: Unity, Unreal, ThreeJS, etc.
- Familiarity with ROS/ROS2 for robotics projects.
- Familiarity with emerging technologies like AR/VR (Vuforia, ARcore, ARKit).
- Deployed projects in machine learning and/or computer vision.
- Experience generating design assets using any design tools (ie. Adobe suite, Figma, Sketch, etc.).
- Architect and implement high quality code from proof-of-concept prototypes to MVPs that people can use.
- Solve tough engineering problems in unexplored/unconstrained domains such as new services, robotics, AR/VR, health, advancing imaging, etc.
- Maintain awareness of new toolkits, libraries, data sets, APIs, web services as they emerge.
- Collaborate with other researchers, engineers and designers to integrate cutting-edge functionality into novel prototypes for new product concepts, core-technologies that will bring new business opportunities to Samsung.
If this is something you would love to do, let us know.
Show us what you have built and tell us what you would like to build next!
For U.S. Candidates Only: SRA has adopted a COVID-19 vaccination policy to safeguard the health and well-being of our employees and visitors. As a condition of employment, all employees based in the U.S. are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law.
Incumbent must make themselves available during core business hours.
This position requires the incumbent to travel for work 10% of the time.
This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers, and reach with hands and arms.
Samsung is committed to encouraging a diverse workplace and proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As we highly value diversity in our current and future employees, we do not discriminate (including in our hiring and promotion practices) based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.