Title: Fall 2021 Intern - Mechanical Engineer
Company: Samsung Research America (SRA)
Lab: Think Tank Team
Location: Mountain View, CA
The Think Tank Team is an interdisciplinary collective of researchers, designers, scientists, and engineers located in Mountain View, CA, and representing a diverse skill set including electrical engineering, computer engineering, signal processing, machine learning, computer vision, visual design, interaction design, industrial design, optics, physics, and more. We work and play as we create Samsung’s future products, encompassing a unique mix of research with a diverse and dynamic approach to early product development. As a team, we have a strong track record of driving concepts to production, we work on a wide variety of time scales, advancing science to working technology, developing new or improved product designs, and creating new experiences.
We believe that design and creativity are the core duties of every member of our team. We are creating products that will impact the lives of how millions do what they do, but better. If you want to create and build new devices and technologies, can learn on the fly, delve deep into solving complex problems as you work closely with others, and creatively approach design and engineering tasks at all scales, then we invite you to apply.
See some of our work at http://thinktankteam.info/
As a mechanical engineer, you will create a diverse range of new, unexpected, and often unfamiliar projects and topics. You will design, iterate, and build new devices, mechanisms, actuators, and products in collaboration with engineers, designers, scientists and other team members. You will develop end-to-end prototypes from quick sketch mockups, benchtop proof-of-concept models, and demo-ready integrated systems.
- B.S./M.S. in Mechanical Engineering, related technical field, or equivalent practical experience
- Experience with 3D/2D modeling and design software (Solidworks a plus)
- Hands-on experience with machine shops and rapid prototyping
- Knowledge of DFM (design for manufacturability) and fabrication processes
- Proof that you like to build things. Bonus points if other people have used what you built!
- Design and build new mechanisms, actuators, and products in a cutting edge research and prototyping environment
- Learn continuously, and often about completely new and unexpected topics
- Work closely with researchers and engineers from different disciplines to develop product concepts and technologies that will bring new business opportunities to Samsung
Essential Worker Role: This role requires you to be onsite to complete specific job duties, you will be required to primarily work out of our Mountain View office.
COVID-19 Considerations: We strictly enforce our employees to follow CDC recommendations and promote a safe environment.
If this is something you would love to do, let us know.
Show us what you have built, and tell us what you would like to build next!
Samsung is committed to encouraging a diverse workplace and proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As we highly value diversity in our current and future employees, we do not discriminate (including in our hiring and promotion practices) based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any other characteristic protected by law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.