Title: Fall 2021 Intern – Computational Scientist
Company: Samsung Research America (SRA)
Lab: Think Tank Team
Location: Mountain View, CA
The Think Tank Team is an interdisciplinary collective of researchers, designers, scientists, and engineers located in Mountain View, CA, and representing a diverse skill set including electrical engineering, computer engineering, signal processing, machine learning, computer vision, visual design, interaction design, industrial design, optics, physics, and more. We work and play as we create Samsung’s future products, encompassing a unique mix of research with a diverse and dynamic approach to early product development. As a team, we have a strong track record of driving concepts to production, we work on a wide variety of time scales, advancing science to working technology, developing new or improved product designs, and creating new experiences.
We believe that design and creativity are the core duties of every member of our team. We are creating products that will impact the lives of how millions do what they do, but better. If you want to create and build new devices and technologies, can learn on the fly, delve deep into solving complex problems as you work closely with others, and creatively approach design and engineering tasks at all scales, then we invite you to apply.
See some of our work at http://thinktankteam.info/
As a Computational Scientist, you will develop algorithmic methods and tools to optimize and develop innovative advancement for prototypes of proposed projects in new technologies and/or user experiences that address real-life problems. You will continue to research and stay ahead of underlying system issues to elevate programming methods across various subject areas of new and existing projects. You will collaborate and communicate your efforts with colleagues as you solve complex problems that impact the design’s success.
- MS (or BS +2 years of work experience) in applied mathematics, physics, math-intensive subjects, related technical field or equivalent practical experience
- 2+ years of experience developing advanced data analysis techniques, signal processing algorithms, or control algorithms
- Advanced coding and, simulation skills for numerical environments such as MATLAB, Python, Julia, etc.
- Ability to translate ideas from research articles to functioning prototypes in Python/numpy/scipy, C/C++, etc.
- Practical knowledge and proven skills in areas such as convex optimization, dimensionality reduction, compressive sensing, computational imaging, high-dimensional signal processing, etc.
- Depth of experience in several different signal domains (audio, RF, images, tomography, etc.)
- Prototype algorithms in numerical environments and translate them into practical implementations if needed
- Develop and optimize algorithms to run on DSP/GPU/SIMD architectures
- Hands-on prototyping skills with electronics and embedded computing
If this is something you would love to do, let us know.
Show us what you have built, and tell us what you would like to build next!
Samsung is committed to encouraging a diverse workplace and proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As we highly value diversity in our current and future employees, we do not discriminate (including in our hiring and promotion practices) based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any other characteristic protected by law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.