Title: Front End Software Engineer
Company: Samsung Research America (SRA)
Lab: Think Tank Team
Location: Mountain View, CA
The Think Tank Team seeks outstanding practitioners of front end software who have a proven track-record of applying their work to real-world situations. We value creativity, curiosity, and persistence as well as solid technical skills.
As a front end software engineer you will create new experiences and technologies, learn on the fly, solve complex problems, work closely with others, and creatively approach design and engineering tasks at all scales. You will propose projects to develop new technologies and/or user experiences that address real-life problems, informed by a combination of your own expertise, that of other team members, and enabled by emerging software or hardware; and stay current with research developments in your field, keeping yourself and your colleagues intellectually stimulated at the frontiers of the art.
Necessary Qualifications & Skills
- Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field.
- Demonstrated ability to write robust and re-usable code following best coding practices with proper documentation.
- Rapid prototyping skills using UI libraries, preferably across multiple platforms (particularly Android and web technologies).
- Experience creating back-end services and/or platforms that can be leveraged by user-facing applications and other services (NodeJS, Flask, etc.).
- Portfolio demonstrating a wide range of user experiences that other people are using or have used before.
- Proven attention to UX/Design details, experience thinking about how prototypes look and feel even at early stages.
- Experience prototyping new hardware / software integrations using prototyping platforms (e.g., Arduino, Android, BeagleBone, Raspberry Pi.).
- Ability to develop software for resource constrained systems such as smartphones or similar consumer electronic devices.
- Understanding of sensors and data conditioning.
- Developed projects in emerging technologies like AR/VR, CV, ML, robotics, etc.
- Experience generating design assets using any design tools (ie. Adobe suite, Figma, Sketch, etc.).
- Familiarity with a user-centered design process and building for users' needs.
- Implement proof-of-concept prototypes for fast iterative testing.
- Solve tough engineering problems in unexplored/unconstrained domains such as robotics, AR/VR, health, autonomous systems, etc.
- Maintain constant awareness of new toolkits, libraries, data sets, APIs, web services as they emerge.
- Collaborate with other researchers, engineers and designers to integrate cutting-edge functionality into novel prototypes for new product concepts, core-technologies that will bring new business opportunities to Samsung.
The Think Tank Team is an interdisciplinary collective of researchers, designers, scientists and engineers located in Mountain View, CA. Our mandate is to explore what’s next for Samsung through a unique mix of creativity, research, and early product development. We have a strong track record of driving concepts to production. Our team members represent a diverse skillset, including electrical engineering, computer engineering, signal processing, machine learning, computer vision, visual design, interaction design, industrial design, optics, physics and more from top-notch institutions such as MIT, Stanford, Cambridge University, Berkeley, CMU and others. You can learn about some of our work at http://thinktankteam.info/
We strive to create products that will impact the lives of millions, and we believe that the first step on the path is to show real prototypes. We work on a wide variety of time scales, advancing science to working technology, developing new products, and creating new experiences. We believe that design and creativity are core duties of every member of our team. We work on problems that are as diverse as they are challenging: e.g. robotics, development of novel sensors and appliances, virtual reality environments, and the development of techniques to allow us all to better interact with the world around us.
You must be passionate about creating new devices and technologies, and ready to learn on the fly, solve complex problems, work closely with others, and creatively approach engineering tasks at all scales. We believe a person’s work speaks for itself, and we welcome applications from everyone with the right drive, attitude, and skills. If you believe that you fit this latter description, but don’t quite meet all of the necessary skills listed above, but do have an equivalent set of technical skills, we’d still like to hear from you. Please send a cover letter describing your particular situation.
Samsung is an EEO/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer. We welcome and encourage diversity as we strive to create an inclusive workplace.