Realtime Systems Engineer
Company: Samsung Research America (SRA)
Lab: Think Tank Team
Location: Mountain View, CA
The Think Tank Team is seeking outstanding Realtime Systems Engineers who have a proven track-record of applying their work to real-world situations. We value creativity, curiosity, and persistence as well as solid technical and strategic skills.
As a Realtime Systems Engineer in TTT, you will architect and develop for a diverse range of projects spanning new, unexpected, and often unfamiliar topics. You will stay current with developments in your field, keeping yourself and your colleagues intellectually stimulated at the frontiers of the art. Your work will integrate bleeding-edge functionality into innovative prototypes, and informed by a combination of your own expertise and that of other team members, you will propose projects to develop new technologies and/or user experiences that address real-life problems and become new products for Samsung.
- Extreme skill with C/C++: at least 2 years in projects of significant size.
- Ability to translate work from people outside of software disciplines to performant system designs and code.
- Deep knowledge of systems and common programming paradigms: embedded system, optimization, parallel debugging, cross-compilation, etc.
- Understanding of memory layout/caching/structure/performance on CPU and GPU.
- Strong knowledge of a compilation system: make/Cmake/etc.
- Strong code discipline, even under time pressure.
- MS or equivalent experience in a related field.
- Demonstrable track record of work (and results).
- Able to compile, modify, and test extensive libraries such as OpenCV, Qt, Torch, etc.
- Strong knowledge of parallel programming techniques, including threads, SIMD, GPU, DSP, etc.
- Prior experience programming native code on embedded devices.
- Understanding of interpreted languages such as Python and related VMs.
Who we are:
The Think Tank Team is an interdisciplinary collective of researchers, designers, scientists and engineers located in Mountain View, CA. Our mandate is to explore what’s next for Samsung through a unique mix of creativity, research, and early product development. We have a strong track record of driving concepts to production. Our team members represent a diverse skillset, including electrical engineering, computer engineering, signal processing, machine learning, computer vision, visual design, interaction design, industrial design, optics, physics and more from top-notch institutions such as MIT, Stanford, Cambridge University, Berkeley, CMU and others. You can learn about some of our work at http://thinktankteam.info/
We strive to create products that will impact the lives of millions, and we believe that the first step on the path is to show real prototypes. We work on a wide variety of time scales, advancing science to working technology, developing new products, and creating new experiences. We believe that design and creativity are core duties of every member of our team. We work on problems that are as diverse as they are challenging: e.g. robotics, development of novel sensors and appliances, virtual reality environments, and the development of techniques to allow us all to better interact with the world around us.
You must be passionate about creating new devices and technologies, and ready to learn on the fly, solve complex problems, work closely with others, and creatively approach engineering tasks at all scales. We believe a person’s work speaks for itself, and we welcome applications from everyone with the right drive, attitude, and skills. If you believe that you fit this latter description, but don’t quite meet all of the necessary skills listed above, but do have an equivalent set of skills, we’d still like to hear from you. Please send a cover letter describing your particular situation.
Samsung is an EEO/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer. We welcome and encourage diversity as we strive to create an inclusive workplace.