Title: Computational Scientist
Company: Samsung Research America (SRA)
Lab: Think Tank Team
Location: Mountain View, CA
The Think Tank Team seeks outstanding practitioners of applied mathematics who have a proven track-record of applying their work to real-world situations. We value creativity, curiosity, and persistence as well as solid technical skills.
As a Computational Scientist in TTT, you will develop algorithms and systems to extract meaning from real-world (often physical) data; lead efforts to integrate bleeding-edge functionality into innovative prototypes; propose projects to develop new technologies and/or user experiences that address real-life problems, informed by a combination of your own expertise, that of other team members, and enabled by emerging software or hardware; and stay current with research developments in your field, keeping yourself and your colleagues intellectually stimulated at the frontiers of the art.
Qualifications & Skills
- MS (or BS +2 years of work experience) in applied mathematics, physics, or other math-intensive subjects.
- 2+ years of experience developing advanced data analysis techniques, signal processing algorithms or control algorithms.
- Advanced coding and simulation skills.
- Ability to translate ideas from research articles to functioning prototypes.
- Practical knowledge and proven skills in areas such as convex optimization, dimensionality reduction, compressive sensing, computational imaging, high-dimensional signal processing, etc.
- Depth of experience in several different signal domains (audio, RF, images, tomography, etc.)
- Ability to prototype algorithms in numerical environments (MATLAB, Python, Julia, etc.) as well as translate them into practical implementations (Python/numpy/scipy, C/C++, etc).
- Experience in developing and optimizing algorithms to run on DSP/GPU/SIMD architectures.
- Hands-on prototyping skills with electronics and embedded computing.
The Think Tank Team is an interdisciplinary collective of researchers, designers, scientists and engineers located in Mountain View, CA. Our mandate is to explore what’s next for Samsung through a unique mix of creativity, research, and early product development. We have a strong track record of driving concepts to production. Our team members represent a diverse skillset, including electrical engineering, computer engineering, signal processing, machine learning, computer vision, visual design, interaction design, industrial design, optics, physics and more from top-notch institutions such as MIT, Stanford, Cambridge University, Berkeley, CMU and others. You can learn about some of our work at http://thinktankteam.info/
We strive to create products that will impact the lives of millions, and we believe that the first step on the path is to show real prototypes. We work on a wide variety of time scales, advancing science to working technology, developing new products, and creating new experiences. We believe that design and creativity are core duties of every member of our team. We work on problems that are as diverse as they are challenging: e.g. robotics, development of novel sensors and appliances, virtual reality environments, and the development of techniques to allow us all to better interact with the world around us.
You must be passionate about creating new devices and technologies, and ready to learn on the fly, solve complex problems, work closely with others, and creatively approach engineering tasks at all scales. We believe a person’s work speaks for itself, and we welcome applications from everyone with the right drive, attitude, and skills. If you believe that you fit this latter description, but don’t quite meet all of the necessary skills listed above, but do have an equivalent set of technical skills, we’d still like to hear from you. Please send a cover letter describing your particular situation.
Samsung is an EEO/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer. We welcome and encourage diversity as we strive to create an inclusive workplace.