Title: Algorithm Research Intern
Company: Samsung Research America (SRA)
Lab: Think Tank Team
Location: Mountain View, CA
The Think Tank Team is an interdisciplinary collective of researchers, designers, scientists and engineers located in Mountain View, CA. Our mandate is to explore what’s next for Samsung by applying bleeding-edge advances in software, machine learning, computer-human interaction, sensor and display technologies to solve real-world challenges that will transform users’ experiences in ways we can only just glimpse on the horizon today.
TTT began as a small team in 2012 and brought its first concept -- the Samsung Gear watch -- to market one year later. Since then we have released several projects such as the Beyond 3D/360/4k camera for AR/VR cinematography, the BotChef cooking robot, the Ballie personalized companion, and others. We work on a wide variety of time scales, advancing science and applying it to create new products and experiences that will impact the lives of millions.
Our team members represent a diverse skillset, including electrical engineering, computer engineering, signal processing, machine learning, computer vision, visual design, interaction design, industrial design, optics, physics, and more from institutions such as MIT, Caltech, Stanford, CMU, Oxford and others. We believe that the best way to show is to design and build prototypes, and that the best products come from teams collaborating to understand and solve a problem from multiple perspectives. We believe that design and creativity are core duties of every member of our team.
Qualifications & Skills
You must be passionate about creating new devices and technologies, and ready to learn on the fly, solve complex problems, work closely with others, and creatively approach design and engineering tasks at all scales. We believe a person’s work speaks for itself, and welcome everyone with the right drive, attitude, and skills.
- MS/PhD in EE, Mathematics, Physics, Software Engineering, or a related applied science field
- Graduate level mathematical skills are necessary
- Experience developing signal processing algorithms in real-world or comparable settings
- Strong track record of DSP algorithm development experience (Examples include: digital filter design, frequency/waveform synthesis, and adaptive signal processing, convex optimization, time-series analysis and others)
- Advanced statistical techniques and stochastic process analysis are required
- Experience with high-frequency signals, multi-target detection projects, tracking techniques, signal analysis and Kalman estimators is required
- Experience with small signal recovery techniques in noisy environments is required
- Advanced coding and programming skills (C/C++) is required
- Experience in developing and optimizing algorithms to run on DSP and microprocessors is a plus
- Experience with compressive sensing techniques, wavelet analysis and data compression techniques is a plus
- Experience with sensing hardware (design and calibration) is a plus
- Experience with system software on embedded devices is a plus
- Experience with Android/Linux system software is a plus
- Solve tough engineering problems, and work with other engineers to integrate cutting-edge functionality into novel prototypes
- Design, develop, optimize, or tune algorithms to solve interesting problems in hardware, data science, or sensor design
- Maintain constant awareness of technologies, scientific developments, design software and hardware capabilities, as well as software tools to make the prototype function
- Work closely with various core tech teams and other organizations to define prototyping scope and applications towards various technology roadmaps and product
Samsung is an EEO/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT employer. We welcome and encourage diversity as we strive to create an inclusive workplace.