Fuze is a global, cloud-based unified communications platform that empowers productivity and delivers insights across the enterprise by enabling simplified business voice communications, flexible video conferencing and always-on collaboration. Fuze allows the modern, mobile workforce to seamlessly communicate anytime, anywhere, across any device.
Are you the type of person who is passionate about design? Do you love helping other designers improve as much as you love creating simple, elegant designs yourself? Do you thrive in solving tricky problems via collaborative brainstorms with other great designers? Do you find yourself constantly noticing ways to make the things you interact with on a day to day basis more user-friendly? If so, you sound like you could be a great fit for our team.
In this Manager of Product Design role, you will be responsible for our end user apps, and the team of designers that create them. You’ll help the team develop, oversee their designs and our design system, evolve our design process, and own one piece of the product line yourself as a designer. You will also play a part in defining the roadmap and long-term vision for your products, innovating on what we do and how we do it, to help differentiate our product and delight our users.
Objectives & Responsibilities
First six months
- Learn the Fuze products and the Fuze business
- Rapidly gain an understanding of Fuze’s diverse set of customers and end users
- Get to know your direct reports, their different strengths, and what they’d like from you as a manager
- Get a feel for working as part of our design team, and for how we work with product management and engineering
- Jump in and start creating great designs!
Six months and beyond
- Help your team grow and develop as designers
- Bring new ideas and best practices to the table to improve our process or otherwise make the group more effective in doing design
- Own and maintain our Fuze design system
- Ensure consistency across the end user app designs
- Learn the wider UCaaS market, competition, and industry trends
- Align business requirements, use cases, and user needs into elegant product interfaces
- Work closely with product managers to communicate your design vision and incorporate their feedback, as well as to help drive the product strategy, roadmap, and requirements
- Collaborate with our UX Research team to learn about our users and ensure your designs are perfect for them
- Work with the engineering team as they build the final product
- Be seen as a company-wide advocate for UX and as an approachable expert in all things design-related
Key Challenges and Success Factors
The defining challenge of this role is the three related-but-different responsibilities: Mentoring, nurturing, and developing individual designers, owning the broad product area, and executing on your own design work. You will need to excel in each of these areas, as well as know how to balance your time between them.
Your success will be measured in each area -- by the development and satisfaction of your designers, improved engagement of users in your products, and metrics associated with your specific area of design ownership.
Skills, Experience, and Characteristics
We are looking for someone who:
- Has 6+ years of experience doing top-notch product design work, with a portfolio showcasing your individual work
- Has 2+ years of managing and mentoring a small design team
- Has created, implemented, and maintained a design system
- Uses data to inform what you do and how you do it
- Is comfortable with the full spectrum of design responsibilities, from initial UX wireframes, to a polished visual design
- Can work autonomously and deliver excellent work on schedule
- Can present your work and the rationale behind your decisions
- Loves to collaborate, and gives and takes design feedback expertly
- Values and incorporates user research into all phases of the design process, and is passionate about discovering and meeting the needs of the customer
- Stays on top of UX best-practices