The Zebra, named a Best Place to Work in Austin four years running, is revolutionizing how connected consumers research and shop for insurance. We intentionally strive to build diverse teams that feel inclusive for all. Our motto is "All Stripes Welcome," and we put that into practice by valuing both traditional and non-conventional backgrounds and perspectives. Our Zeebs are passionate about learning, growing, & working together to tackle exciting problems.
We're seeking a Support Engineer II to expand our growing team. In this role you will research and fix user problems, work on automation and scripting, and document code and configuration changes accordingly. You will serve as a primary technical contact on 1st/2nd line for the business and act as the IT liaison to other departments (or vendors). While maintaining a customer-first approach, this role will handle a lot of actual system administration as well. A positive attitude, strong customer-focus, and an ability to handle multiple projects are keys to success.
Reporting directly to the Sr. Director of IT and Security, you will work closely with all other teams at The Zebra to help automate al the things and run and integrate multiple systems while staying on top of our Zeebs' needs.
This is a position that requires in-person presence at least some of the time in our office in Austin, TX. All new hires will need to relocate to Austin, Texas by the time of their start date.
What You'll Do:
- Provide desk-side and remote technical assistance, sometimes after regular business hours, via email, ticketing software, in person, or over the phone
- Create, update, and resolve issues using our issue tracking system and build/update our wiki and other documentation
- Capture quotes, purchase, and maintain inventory and licensing of software and hardware, lease agreements, service contracts, and vendor support agreements
- Install, configure, and support macOS/Windows computers, applications, devices, and conferencing A/V equipment
- Write and update scripts and policies for different systems integrations and end-user devices based on the needs of the business and different technology projects
- Enforce, monitor and implement IT policies and procedures while maintaining confidentiality and securing operational data
- Sometimes work evenings, weekends, or outside of normal business hours; moderate lifting may be required; other duties may be assigned
What We're Looking For:
As we evaluate candidates across all roles, we look for folks who have a strong sense of ownership, great communication and collaboration skills, and a dedication to continuous improvement.
- 2+ years (or equivalent) in desktop/server support and have a Bachelor’s degree in CS (or equivalent experience)
- Strong organization, communication, and a love of providing incredible customer service
- Ability to properly assess, prioritize, and solve problems
- Comfort with installing, configuring, and fixing supported hardware and software
- Knowledgable of macOS, Windows, iOS and Microsoft Office
- Knowledge of Information Systems security principles
- Experience with Help Desk Issue Tracking Systems to assign, delegate, and/or resolve end-user issues
- Bonus points if you have experience with email management (Gmail), are familiar with Jamf, firewalls, the Atlassian suite (Jira, Confluence, etc.)
Experience that will Impress the Heck Out of Us:
- Jamf certification(s)
- Experience with the Atlassian suite (Jira, Confluence, etc.)
- Extensive SaaS knowledge of systems like Google Workspace, Okta, Slack, and others.
Benefits & Perks:
Inclusive and healthy environments are crafted intentionally. All of our employees can join and participate in (or create your own!) Employee Resource Groups. Here are some other wonderful perks of working here:
- Competitive Compensation & Stock Option Offering
- Health, Dental, Vision & Disability Coverages
- HSA offering + employer contribution
- 401k with match
- Unlimited PTO (paid time off)+ flexibility to enjoy it
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Wellness perk ($100/month)
- Pet Adoption Reimbursement ($300/year)
- Learning & Development Opportunities
- Join a team that truly lives their values (outside of the office. Cliche, we know… but we really mean it)
About The Zebra:
The Zebra is the nation’s leading, independent insurance comparison site. With our dynamic, real-time quote comparison tool, consumers can identify insurance companies with the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs. Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has sought to bring transparency and simplicity to insurance shopping since 2012 -- it's “insurance in black and white.”
We've garnered attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists. Check out all of our awards & recognition!
Our core mantra is "All Stripes Welcome." As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, we provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform core job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation!