The Zebra, named a Best Place to Work in Austin seven years running, is revolutionizing how connected consumers research and shop for insurance. We intentionally strive to build diverse teams that feel inclusive for all. Our motto is "All Stripes Welcome," and we put that into practice by valuing both traditional and non-conventional backgrounds and perspectives. Our Zeebs are passionate about learning, growing, & working together to tackle exciting problems.
Our Engineering department is expanding, & we’re seeking a Director of Engineering, Platform to help support The Zebra’s growing needs. This director will be responsible for the day-to-day delivery and execution of our Platform engineering teams (Infrastructure, Site Reliability, & Developer Experience). You will also be tasked with recruiting to expand the team while building upon our ownership-minded, collaborative culture. You will focus on ensuring engineering is set up to support and execute on business goals in an efficient and effective manner.
While we are open to remote work across the contingent US, we are still in the process of establishing our company to support work in all states! We’ve shifted to a hybrid model and love the flexibility it allows our employees. We are set up to support employees who want to be fully remote, in-office only, or a mix of the two. We will NOT be supporting work based out of the following states: CA, MA, NY, & NJ.
What You'll Do:
- Manage and support a team of engineering managers
- Optimize software development and project management practices
- Collaborate closely with Product Management and other stakeholders to ensure we’re solving the right problems, with the right level of effort
- Ensure the reliability, scalability, performance, uptime, and robustness of our products, systems, and end-user experiences commensurate with a leading, consumer brand
- Work with Tech Leadership & VPs to ensure the software development lifecycle is appropriate & efficient for the teams
- Work with Tech leadership to drive decision making for use of new technologies, languages and frameworks
- Own delivery against our product roadmap while balancing pace, robustness, technical excellence, business needs, and high quality
What We're Looking For:
As we evaluate candidates across all roles, we look for folks who have a strong sense of ownership, great communication and collaboration skills, and a dedication to continuous improvement.
- Has a track record of managing, leading and motivating platform engineering teams
- 7+ years experience leading and managing engineering teams, and delivering business solutions
- 2+ years experience managing engineering managers
- Keen intellectual curiosity; strong background in technical leadership
- Self-directed, with the proven ability to make complex and difficult decisions
- Excellent written and verbal interpersonal skills; should be able to present complex technical ideas internally and externally
Experience that will Impress the Heck Out of Us:
- Experience managing and growing a multi-region, multi-provider, cloud-based infrastructure (primarily AWS)
- Comfort with the Linux/Unix command line
Benefits & Perks:
Inclusive and healthy environments are crafted intentionally. All of our employees can join and participate in (or create your own!) Employee Resource Groups. Here are some other wonderful perks of working here:
- Competitive Compensation & Stock Option Offering
- Health, Dental, Vision & Disability Coverages
- HSA offering + employer contribution
- 401k plan + employer match
- Unlimited PTO (paid time off)+ the flexibility to enjoy it
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Wellness perk ($100/month)
- Pet Adoption Reimbursement ($300/year)
- Learning & Development Opportunities
- Join a team that truly lives their values (outside of the office. Cliche, we know… but we really mean it)
About The Zebra:
The Zebra is the nation’s leading, independent insurance comparison site. With our dynamic, real-time quote comparison tool, consumers can identify insurance companies with the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs. Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has sought to bring transparency and simplicity to insurance shopping since 2012 -- it's “insurance in black and white.”
We've garnered attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists. Check out all of our awards & recognition!
Our core mantra is "All Stripes Welcome." As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, we provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform core job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.