The Zebra is expanding our engineering team and we’re seeking a Backend Software Engineer II to join our team.
Our Integrations team is responsible for the technical onboarding of new insurance partners to our site. The team supports integration work for both Auto and Home insurance lines, requiring efficient delivery of direct integrations each month aligned with business priorities and timelines. This team is made up of primarily Backend Engineers working in Python. Ideally, this candidate has experience working with API integrations.
Our team is passionate about working together to solve interesting problems with technical solutions--and having fun doing it. With a team split between Austin and Africa, we know from experience the importance of diversity within Engineering teams, and we work constantly to ensure everyone has a voice and feels valued. Collaboration is key to our success.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Assist in the design, implementation and maintenance of The Zebra comparison product and other products using Python, Django, and other modern technologies
- Deliver disciplined, maintainable, and performant code across different areas of our business, from adding new functionality to existing cloud-hosted microservices to creating new features supporting growth into new insurance lines
- Work closely with other engineers, product managers, and engineering leadership to rapidly build, iterate, test and deploy features and products and maintain a high-quality robust codebase
- Improve and scale the existing products and tools to support our growth
- Create and maintain integration code that serves as the communication point between The Zebra and insurance partner API
- Provide primary technical support for partner integrations
- Monitor business-critical applications and troubleshoot or escalate appropriately when issues arise
REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS:
- 3+ years of professional programming experience
- Proficiency with at least one of the following languages: Python, Ruby, Java, C++, C#, Go
- Experience with relational and/or NoSQL databases
- Exceptional and proven web development experience
- Comfort with Linux/Unix command line
- A real passion for problem solving with strong analytical capabilities
- A desire to follow and advocate for exceptional software engineering processes (including unit testing)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and experience communicating technical information to non-technical people
EXPERIENCE THAT WILL IMPRESS THE HECK OUT OF US:
- Strong Python experience
- Django, Flask, and/or Tornado experience
- Experience working with API integrations and microservices
- Experience with unit testing and TDD
- A Github profile or public code portfolio
BENEFITS + PERKS:
- Competitive Compensation & Stock Option Offering
- Health, Dental, Vision & Disability Coverages
- HSA offering + employer contribution
- 401k with match
- Unlimited PTO + flexibility to enjoy it
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Wellness perk ($100/month)
- Pet Adoption Reimbursement ($300/year)
- Learning & Development Stipends
- Bi-Monthly Wednesday Catered Lunch
- Zeal Care - Monthly wellness subscriptions ($35/month)
- Curated monthly snack box - sent to your house
- Opportunity to join Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) or drive our diversity & inclusion stance by creating your own
- Join a team that truly lives their values, and values their lives (outside of the office. Cliche, we know… but we really mean it)
ABOUT THE ZEBRA
The Zebra is the nation’s leading insurance search comparison site. With its dynamic, real-time quote comparison tool, drivers can identify insurance companies with the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs. The Zebra compares more than 100 car insurance companies and provides licensed agent support and educational resources to ensure drivers are equipped to make the most informed decisions about their policies. It’s “insurance in black and white.”
Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has garnered the attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists, and the company’s success has been profiled in publications like Inc., Time, Forbes, and TechCrunch. Austin Business Journal named The Zebra a Best Place to Work in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020. Austin American-Statesman awarded The Zebra as a Top Workplace in 2016, 2017 and 2018. Inc. Magazine also awarded The Zebra as Best Workplaces - 2018, 2019, 2020.
The Zebra is aiming to grow our fantastic team to add to our dynamic culture and continue building on our success. Working at The Zebra means never being bored, always being challenged, and supporting one another. We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” who share those values.
The Zebra is an equal opportunity employer and “at will” company.
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, The Zebra provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Zebra complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Zebra expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The Zebra's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
**No external recruiters or agents, please.**