The Zebra is seeking a Senior Staff Software Engineer to expand our growing team. Our Senior Staff Software Engineers are focused on strategic impact over multiple teams within the department. You’ll be expected to take on extremely open-ended problems from leadership, helping to define the approach, outcomes, and success metrics. Your technical expertise is sought out by members across the department, especially engineering leadership. You have a proven track record of creating major improvements around stability, performance, and scalability. You exemplify what a technical leader at The Zebra should be, contributing to our culture of collaboration and technical excellence.
We’re looking for software engineers who are excited to work in either a backend, frontend, or full-stack role. Our ideal candidate is someone flexible enough to contribute across The Zebra product. This could include expanding into new lines of insurance, continuing to build on our comparison experience across existing insurance lines, supporting new and existing functionality, or finding creative solutions to improve scalability and stability through architectural enhancements. You will need to be comfortable working both on experimental, rapid-prototyping projects and building long-term sustainable, scalable solutions.
Our software engineers play a vital role in taking projects from spec to concept and building them with high-quality, creative, simple, and elegant solutions. Our team is passionate about working together to solve interesting problems with technical solutions--and having fun doing it. With a team split between Austin and Africa, we know from experience the importance of diversity within Engineering teams, and we work constantly to ensure everyone has a voice and feels valued. Collaboration is key to our success.
While we are open to remote work across the contingent US, we are still in the process of establishing our company to support work in all states! Like many companies, pre-COVID we weren’t set-up this way. We’ve recently made the shift from an in-office organization to a hybrid model and are loving the flexibility it allows our employees. We are set up to support employees who want to be fully remote, in-office only, and a mix of the two. Please note - we will not be supporting work based out of the following states: CA
This position is not currently eligible for visa sponsorship
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Contribute to the design, implementation and maintenance of The Zebra comparison product and other products using Python, Django, ReactJS, NodeJS, and other modern technologies
- Lead technical implementation of complex cross-team projects, ensuring painless launches, appropriate testing efforts, and on-time delivery
- Work closely with other engineers, designers, and engineering leadership to rapidly build, iterate, test and deploy new features and products and maintain a high-quality robust codebase
- Identify high impact opportunities for improvement and scaling of existing products and tools to support our growth. Research and propose new tools and technologies
- Act as a technical leader across multiple teams and grow other engineers through example and mentorship
- Set department best practices and mentors others
- Work with Directors & VP to ensure SDLC is appropriate & efficient for team
- Drive decision making for use of new technologies, languages and frameworks
- Drive technical planning process for department
REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS:
- 15+ years of professional programming experience
- Strong experience with relational and/or NoSQL databases
- Comfort with Linux/Unix command line
- Demonstrated experience architecting and contributing to performant web applications at scale, and a desire to continue learning and growing the next set of technical leaders
- Experience leading large engineering efforts while making a solid individual contribution, setting the example of where to draw the line between good and perfect
- A keen eye for good software design, empathy for the end user, and eagerness to take ownership of work by collaborating with stakeholders and other engineers through all stages of the product development lifecycle
- A willingness to offer opinions and question assumptions
- A passion for problem-solving with strong analytical capabilities
- A desire to advocate and set the standard for exceptional software engineering processes
EXPERIENCE THAT WILL IMPRESS THE HECK OUT OF US:
- Experience working in consumer-facing web products, growth-phase startups and/or using A/B testing and data to drive product decisions
- Fluency working with cloud services
- Experience with Wagtail, Wordpress, or other CMS system
- Demonstrated experience in the insurance industry
BENEFITS + PERKS:
- Competitive Compensation & Stock Option Offering
- Health, Dental, Vision & Disability Coverages
- HSA offering + employer contribution
- 401k with match
- Unlimited PTO + flexibility to enjoy it
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Wellness perk ($100/month)
- Pet Adoption Reimbursement ($300/year)
- Learning & Development Stipends
- Bi-Monthly Wednesday Catered Lunch
- Zeal Care - Monthly wellness subscriptions ($35/month)
- Curated monthly snack box - sent to your house
- Opportunity to join Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) or drive our diversity & inclusion stance by creating your own
- Join a team that truly lives their values, and values their lives (outside of the office. Cliche, we know… but we really mean it)
ABOUT THE ZEBRA
The Zebra is the nation’s leading insurance search comparison site. With its dynamic, real-time quote comparison tool, drivers can identify insurance companies with the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs. The Zebra compares more than 100 car insurance companies and provides licensed agent support and educational resources to ensure drivers are equipped to make the most informed decisions about their policies. It’s “insurance in black and white.”
Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has garnered the attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists, and the company’s success has been profiled in publications like Inc., Time, Forbes, and TechCrunch. Austin Business Journal named The Zebra a Best Place to Work in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020. Austin American-Statesman awarded The Zebra as a Top Workplace in 2016, 2017 and 2018. Inc. Magazine also awarded The Zebra as Best Workplaces - 2018, 2019, 2020.
The Zebra is aiming to grow our fantastic team to add to our dynamic culture and continue building on our success. Working at The Zebra means never being bored, always being challenged, and supporting one another. We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” who share those values.
The Zebra is an equal opportunity employer and “at will” company.
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, The Zebra provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Zebra complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Zebra expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The Zebra's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
**No external recruiters or agents, please.**