The Zebra, named a Best Place to Work in Austin four years running, is a big-thinking, user-focused, and purpose-driven company that’s changing the way consumers engage with insurance. Our team's vision is to make buying insurance enjoyable and simple by creating exceptional customer experiences. We are looking for a UX Writing leader to provide creative, strategic, and executional excellence who can bring our brand to life seamlessly across the digital product experience. In this role you’ll define the content strategy across key customer touchpoints and build a team of UX writers who will help you realize the vision. The ideal candidate is someone who thrives in a highly collaborative, creative environment and is equally adept at both crafting big picture strategies and delving into the details through hands-on writing.
This role reports directly to the VP of Design.
While we are open to remote work across the contingent US, we are still in the process of establishing our company to support work in all states! Like many companies, pre-COVID we weren’t set-up this way. We’ve recently made the shift from an in-office organization to a hybrid model and are loving the flexibility it allows our employees. We are set up to support employees who want to be fully remote, in-office only, and a mix of the two. Please note - we will not be supporting work based out of the following states: CA
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Develop a comprehensive product content strategy that positively impacts the customer experience, leading to improved engagement, satisfaction, retention and conversion rates.
- Lead the creation of interface language, product educational materials, micro copy, navigation nomenclature, etc. that resonates with customers and enables them to reach their goals.
- Interface regularly with leadership and cross-functional partners to ensure content alignment with brand tone and voice.
- Stay apprised of industry trends, competitor experiences and the latest consumer research.
- Develop content standards, guidelines, and requirements for content across the product experience.
- Perform/lead content audits & gap analysis to identify areas of opportunity in the current customer experience.
- Lead and mentor your team, supporting the development of both their craft and their career.
- Create structure and process that optimizes performance, enhances workflows, promotes transparency, and increases productivity and impact.
- Actively build and retain a strong team of diverse UX writing talent, optimizing the hiring and onboarding process.
REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS:
- 4+ years in a people management role and 7+ years of experience in consumer-facing UX writing.
- Exceptional portfolio demonstrating expert-level knowledge of how to apply a range of content design & strategy methods to improve product experiences.
- Proven track record of building, and developing UX writing teams that ship exceptional work.
- Possess a customer-centric focus, a strong sense of product and brand continuity, a keen awareness of current and emerging design trends, and a passion for accessibility best practices.
- Strong communication skills to help set up frameworks and brainstorm concepts. The ability to mentor/partner with others to deliver great work, and make strategy come to life.
- Thoughtful cross-functional partner with the ability to ask the right questions throughout a project’s lifecycle and look for opportunities to improve working relationships and processes.
- A strong aesthetic sense and the ability to bring brand elements into product experiences.
- Detail-oriented and self-sufficient, with the ability to find creative solutions and build something from scratch.
- Thrives in a fast-paced, high growth and at times ambiguous environment.
EXPERIENCE THAT WILL IMPRESS THE HECK OUT OF US:
- Experience at a leading B2C brand or agency
- Experience establishing and scaling UX writing teams
BENEFITS + PERKS:
- Competitive Compensation & Stock Option Offering
- Health, Dental, Vision & Disability Coverages
- HSA offering + employer contribution
- 401k with match
- Unlimited PTO + flexibility to enjoy it
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Wellness perk ($100/month)
- Pet Adoption Reimbursement ($300/year)
- Learning & Development Stipends
- Bi-Monthly Wednesday Catered Lunch
- Zeal Care - Monthly wellness subscriptions ($35/month)
- Curated monthly snack box - sent to your house
- Opportunity to join Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) or drive our diversity & inclusion stance by creating your own
- Join a team that truly lives their values, and values their lives (outside of the office. Cliche, we know… but we really mean it)
ABOUT THE ZEBRA
The Zebra is the nation’s leading insurance search comparison site. With its dynamic, real-time quote comparison tool, drivers can identify insurance companies with the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs. The Zebra compares more than 100 car insurance companies and provides licensed agent support and educational resources to ensure drivers are equipped to make the most informed decisions about their policies. It’s “insurance in black and white.”
Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has garnered the attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists, and the company’s success has been profiled in publications like Inc., Time, Forbes, and TechCrunch. Austin Business Journal named The Zebra a Best Place to Work in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020. Austin American-Statesman awarded The Zebra as a Top Workplace in 2016, 2017 and 2018. Inc. Magazine also awarded The Zebra as Best Workplaces - 2018, 2019, 2020.
The Zebra is aiming to grow our fantastic team to add to our dynamic culture and continue building on our success. Working at The Zebra means never being bored, always being challenged, and supporting one another. We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” who share those values.
The Zebra is an equal opportunity employer and “at will” company.
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, The Zebra provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Zebra complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Zebra expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The Zebra's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
**No external recruiters or agents, please.**