The Zebra -- recently named one of Austin’s Best Places to Work by the Austin Business Journal -- is expanding our engineering team. We're looking for someone with sharp technical chops, lots of experience, and great mentorship skills to build upon and grow our existing engineering efforts.
This Software Engineer I (known internally as a " Data Engineer I") will be responsible for understanding the correct tools to use for data integrations, and subsequent implementation of data integrations which will enable our data team to collect, connect, centralize, and curate our data. You will immediately contribute to our goal of using our rich datasets to make smarter business decisions. You should love releasing well-tested code, love working with data and be thrilled about having increasing responsibilities within a fast-growing company in a massive industry.
Our team is passionate about working together to solve interesting problems with technical solutions--and having fun doing it. With a team split between Austin and Africa, we know from experience the importance of diversity within Engineering teams, and we work constantly to ensure everyone has a voice and feels valued. Collaboration is key to our success.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Have a meaningful role in the consultation and development of reliable, effective and scalable data integrations
- Become a Subject Matter Expert in data integration tools like Funnel.io and FiveTran.
- You will work with a variety of stakeholders and users creating new data integrations and ensuring we are leveraging the right tools for existing integrations
- Create third party datasets that allow for more advanced reporting and analytics capabilities
- Document data integration sources and destinations and upstream or downstream dependencies
REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS:
- 1+ years of any professional programming experience (Python, Java, Ruby, C++, C#, Go, Scala, etc) in a data focused role.
- Knowledge of scalable data warehouses (Snowflake, Redshift, BigQuery, etc) OR with Hadoop, Spark, Flink, and/or related technologies
- 1+years of SQL skills
- Experience with relational and NoSQL databases
- Comfort with the Linux/Unix command line and shell scripting
- Understanding of one or more of the following languages: Python, Java, Scala
EXPERIENCE THAT WILL IMPRESS THE HECK OUT OF US:
- 1+ years experience working with data systems
- A passion for problem solving and performance tuning with strong analytical capabilities
- A desire to follow and advocate for exceptional software engineering and data integration processes
- A desire to learn quickly and take on more responsibility and ownership
- Experience with AWS (Amazon Web Services)
BENEFITS + PERKS:
- Competitive Compensation & Stock Option Offering
- Health, Dental, Vision & Disability Coverages
- HSA offering + employer contribution
- 401k with match
- Unlimited PTO + flexibility to enjoy it
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Wellness perk ($100/month)
- Pet Adoption Reimbursement ($300/year)
- Learning & Development Stipends
- Bi-Monthly Wednesday Catered Lunch
- Zeal Care - Monthly wellness subscriptions ($35/month)
- Curated monthly snack box - sent to your house
- Opportunity to join Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) or drive our diversity & inclusion stance by creating your own
- Join a team that truly lives their values, and values their lives (outside of the office. Cliche, we know… but we really mean it)
ABOUT THE ZEBRA
The Zebra is the nation’s leading insurance search comparison site. With its dynamic, real-time quote comparison tool, drivers can identify insurance companies with the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs. The Zebra compares more than 100 car insurance companies and provides licensed agent support and educational resources to ensure drivers are equipped to make the most informed decisions about their policies. It’s “insurance in black and white.”
Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has garnered the attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists, and the company’s success has been profiled in publications like Inc., Time, Forbes, and TechCrunch. Austin Business Journal named The Zebra a Best Place to Work in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020. Austin American-Statesman awarded The Zebra as a Top Workplace in 2016, 2017 and 2018. Inc. Magazine also awarded The Zebra as Best Workplaces - 2018, 2019, 2020.
The Zebra is aiming to grow our fantastic team to add to our dynamic culture and continue building on our success. Working at The Zebra means never being bored, always being challenged, and supporting one another. We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” who share those values.
The Zebra is an equal opportunity employer and “at will” company.
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, The Zebra provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Zebra complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Zebra expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The Zebra's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
**No external recruiters or agents, please.**