The Zebra is seeking a Software Engineering Manager to lead our growing data team! At The Zebra data is the heart of everything we do. We collect data from millions of consumers shopping for insurance and leverage it to inform operational decisions and power data science.
The Data Engineering team is responsible for collecting, connecting, centralizing, and curating our data across the org. The platform we have developed supports real-time event streaming, third-party data imports, data transformation and data exports. This team is made up of junior, mid-level, senior, & staff data engineers & analytics engineers who spend most of their time using Python, SQL, Snowflake, DBT, Prefect and AWS to wrangle our data.
Our ideal manager for this team has a background in data, growing and coaching a team of database developers, improving data quality and processes, managing development resources and project timelines, facilitating cross team collaboration, and identifying data gaps. You will assist with hiring a rapidly growing team and are responsible for the technical and career growth of individual engineers.
Our team is passionate about working together to solve interesting problems with technical solutions--and having fun doing it. With a team split between Austin and Africa, we know from experience the importance of diversity within Engineering teams, and we work constantly to ensure everyone has a voice and feels valued. Collaboration is key to our success.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Drive the building, and launching of new data models and data pipelines in production.
- Manage development of data resources and support new product launches.
- Drive data quality and reliability
- Help the team balance short-term and long-term development projects
- Foster a culture of building technical wealth and reducing technical debt
- Facilitate collaboration with other teams throughout the company, designing new processes when needed
- Identify gaps and issues with our data
- Attract and hire new data engineers and analytics engineers to join our growing team
REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS:
- 3+ years experience leading and directly managing data engineering teams and delivering business solutions
- Passionate about building and coaching high-performing data engineering teams
- Organized and excited about creating and optimizing engineering processes
- Track record of developing employees both technically and professionally
- Experience working in an Agile environment
- Ability to bring people together to create an empowering and exciting work environment
- Strong critical thinking and analysis skills
EXPERIENCE THAT WILL IMPRESS THE HECK OUT OF US:
- Experience with data warehouse technologies such as Snowflake
- Experience with ad tech & marketing analytics
- Experience with BI platforms, e.g. Looker, Tableau, Periscope
- Experience in the insurance industry
- Experience identifying and building business KPI metrics
- Experience in the consumer web analytics domain
BENEFITS + PERKS:
- Competitive Compensation & Stock Option Offering
- Health, Dental, Vision & Disability Coverages
- HSA offering + employer contribution
- 401k with match
- Unlimited PTO + flexibility to enjoy it
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Wellness perk ($100/month)
- Pet Adoption Reimbursement ($300/year)
- Learning & Development Stipends
- Bi-Monthly Wednesday Catered Lunch
- Zeal Care - Monthly wellness subscriptions ($35/month)
- Curated monthly snack box - sent to your house
- Opportunity to join Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) or drive our diversity & inclusion stance by creating your own
- Join a team that truly lives their values, and values their lives (outside of the office. Cliche, we know… but we really mean it)
ABOUT THE ZEBRA
The Zebra is the nation’s leading insurance search comparison site. With its dynamic, real-time quote comparison tool, drivers can identify insurance companies with the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs. The Zebra compares more than 100 car insurance companies and provides licensed agent support and educational resources to ensure drivers are equipped to make the most informed decisions about their policies. It’s “insurance in black and white.”
Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has garnered the attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists, and the company’s success has been profiled in publications like Inc., Time, Forbes, and TechCrunch. Austin Business Journal named The Zebra a Best Place to Work in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020. Austin American-Statesman awarded The Zebra as a Top Workplace in 2016, 2017 and 2018. Inc. Magazine also awarded The Zebra as Best Workplaces - 2018, 2019, 2020.
The Zebra is aiming to grow our fantastic team to add to our dynamic culture and continue building on our success. Working at The Zebra means never being bored, always being challenged, and supporting one another. We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” who share those values.
The Zebra is an equal opportunity employer and “at will” company.
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, The Zebra provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Zebra complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Zebra expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The Zebra's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
**No external recruiters or agents, please.**