The Zebra is seeking a staff software engineer to expand our rapidly growing team and to help us craft a world-class insurance-buying experience. As a staff software engineer at the Zebra, you will serve as a technical leader by driving large-scale frontend initiatives to completion while making exceptionally strong individual code contributions. You will take on challenging, ambiguous problems and find the right solution that supports the Zebra’s growing business.
Our ideal candidate is someone flexible enough to contribute across the Zebra product, primarily in our frontend applications and architecture. This could include expanding into new lines of insurance, continuing to build on our comparison experience across existing insurance lines, supporting new and existing functionality, or finding creative solutions to improve scalability and stability through frontend architectural enhancements. You will need to be comfortable working both on experimental, rapid-prototyping projects and building long-term sustainable, scalable solutions.
Our software engineers play a vital role in taking projects from spec to concept and building them with high-quality, creative, simple, and elegant solutions. Our team is passionate about working together to solve interesting problems with technical solutions--and having fun doing it. With a team split between Austin and Africa, we know from experience the importance of diversity within engineering teams, and we work constantly to ensure everyone has a voice and feels valued. Collaboration is key to our success.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Lead technical implementation of complex cross-team projects, ensuring smooth launches, appropriate testing efforts, and on-time delivery
- Work closely with other engineers, designers, and engineering leadership to rapidly build, iterate, test, and deploy new features and products and maintain a high-quality codebase
- Identify high-impact opportunities for improvement and scaling of existing products and tools to support our growth
- Research and propose new tools and technologies
- Act as a technical leader across multiple teams and grow other engineers by setting a strong example and providing coaching and mentorship
REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS:
- 10+ years of professional programming experience, including web development experience using one or more modern frontend frameworks
- Demonstrated experience architecting and contributing to performant frontend applications at scale, and a desire to continue learning and growing as a frontend technical leader
- Experience leading large engineering efforts while making meaningful individual contributions, and knowing where to draw the line between good and perfect in order to deliver business value effectively
- A keen eye for good design, empathy for the end user, and eagerness to take ownership of frontend work by collaborating with stakeholders, designers, and other engineers through all stages of the product development lifecycle
- Willingness to offer opinions and question existing assumptions
- Strong analytical skills and a passion for complex problem solving
- Desire to adhere to and advocate for software engineering best practices and processes
EXPERIENCE THAT WILL IMPRESS THE HECK OUT OF US:
- Experience working at a high-growth startup and/or using A/B testing and data to drive product decisions
- Expertise using React, and deep knowledge of React design patterns and best practices
- Knowledge of at least one backend programming language (Python, Java, C++, C#, Ruby, Go)
- Fluency working with microservice architectures and cloud services
- Demonstrated experience in the insurance industry
BENEFITS + PERKS:
- Competitive Compensation & Stock Option Offering
- Health, Dental, Vision & Disability Coverages
- HSA offering + employer contribution
- 401k with match
- Unlimited PTO + flexibility to enjoy it
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Wellness perk ($100/month)
- Pet Adoption Reimbursement ($300/year)
- Learning & Development Stipends
- Bi-Monthly Wednesday Catered Lunch
- Zeal Care - Monthly wellness subscriptions ($35/month)
- Curated monthly snack box - sent to your house
- Opportunity to join Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) or drive our diversity & inclusion stance by creating your own
- Join a team that truly lives their values, and values their lives (outside of the office. Cliche, we know… but we really mean it)
ABOUT THE ZEBRA
The Zebra is the nation’s leading insurance search comparison site. With its dynamic, real-time quote comparison tool, drivers can identify insurance companies with the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs. The Zebra compares more than 100 car insurance companies and provides licensed agent support and educational resources to ensure drivers are equipped to make the most informed decisions about their policies. It’s “insurance in black and white.”
Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has garnered the attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists, and the company’s success has been profiled in publications like Inc., Time, Forbes, and TechCrunch. Austin Business Journal named The Zebra a Best Place to Work in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020. Austin American-Statesman awarded The Zebra as a Top Workplace in 2016, 2017 and 2018. Inc. Magazine also awarded The Zebra as Best Workplaces - 2018, 2019, 2020.
The Zebra is aiming to grow our fantastic team to add to our dynamic culture and continue building on our success. Working at The Zebra means never being bored, always being challenged, and supporting one another. We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” who share those values.
The Zebra is an equal opportunity employer and “at will” company.
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, The Zebra provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Zebra complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Zebra expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The Zebra's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
**No external recruiters or agents, please.**