The Zebra, named a Best Place to Work in Austin four years running, is a big-thinking, user-focused, and purpose-driven company that’s changing the way consumers engage with insurance. The product design team's vision is to make buying insurance enjoyable and simple through exceptional design. We’re looking for a Lead Product Designer to guide the evolution of our internal design system. In this role, you will partner within the design team and with cross-functional partners in crafting a world-class design system that enables a seamless experience across both customer facing and associate facing products.
This role reports directly to the VP of Design, and sits in our Austin headquarters.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Drive the evolution of The Zebra’s design language, taking full ownership of every detail of the end-to-end process.
- Bring the latest insights with regards to best practices and design patterns across industries and platforms.
- Define and create exceptionally usable design libraries that drive efficiency and consistency across the end-to-end experience.
- Manage the implementation of the design system across the product ecosystem.
- Be a thought leader within the design organization and with cross-functional partners, influencing the direction of design solutions.
- Partner with PMs, engineers, designers, and researchers in planning, prioritizing, and deploying design system related solutions.
- Collaborate with cross-functional partners to rapidly evaluate the efficacy of proposed design patterns.
- Collaborate with designers across teams to create new design elements and patterns optimized for both web and mobile.
- Evangelize the use of the design systems across workstreams and support teams in its use.
- Partner with the Brand team to ensure consistency between the design system and the overarching visual brand language.
- Facilitate cross-functional workshops to uncover inconsistencies, upcoming design pattern needs, and ideate on potential solutions.
REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS:
- At least 7+ years of experience designing consumer-focused product(s), with 4+ years building design systems.
- A track record of defining and evolving design systems at scale.
- Portfolio demonstrating expert craft, the ability to create exceptionally usable design libraries, and thoughtful consideration of many interdependent requirements.
- Ability to balance near-term priorities with long-term strategic goals.
- Comfortable working in a highly iterative, fast-paced environment that is data driven and customer obsessed.
- Strong ability and desire to mentor other designers with regards to craft and use of the design system.
- Expert knowledge of user experience principles and modern, emerging web and mobile UI patterns.
- Understanding of best practices and processes around governance and maintenance of large scale design systems.
- Proven technical understanding of how to build and architect scalable design systems and ensure brand continuity.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills, with ability to facilitate cross-functional brainstorms that drive impactful outcomes and build alignment.
EXPERIENCE THAT WILL IMPRESS THE HECK OUT OF US:
- Experience with national brands, high growth startups, and building design systems at scale.
- Experience designing for both customer and associate facing products.
- Ability to visualize a range of design solutions quickly.
BENEFITS + PERKS:
- Competitive Compensation & Stock Option Offering
- Health, Dental, Vision & Disability Coverages
- HSA offering + employer contribution
- 401k with match
- Unlimited PTO + flexibility to enjoy it
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Wellness perk ($100/month)
- Pet Adoption Reimbursement ($300/year)
- Learning & Development Stipends
- Bi-Monthly Wednesday Catered Lunch
- Zeal Care - Monthly wellness subscriptions ($35/month)
- Curated monthly snack box - sent to your house
- Opportunity to join Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) or drive our diversity & inclusion stance by creating your own
- Join a team that truly lives their values, and values their lives (outside of the office. Cliche, we know… but we really mean it)
ABOUT THE ZEBRA
The Zebra is the nation’s leading insurance search comparison site. With its dynamic, real-time quote comparison tool, drivers can identify insurance companies with the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs. The Zebra compares more than 100 car insurance companies and provides licensed agent support and educational resources to ensure drivers are equipped to make the most informed decisions about their policies. It’s “insurance in black and white.”
Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has garnered the attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists, and the company’s success has been profiled in publications like Inc., Time, Forbes, and TechCrunch. Austin Business Journal named The Zebra a Best Place to Work in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020. Austin American-Statesman awarded The Zebra as a Top Workplace in 2016, 2017 and 2018. Inc. Magazine also awarded The Zebra as Best Workplaces - 2018, 2019, 2020.
The Zebra is aiming to grow our fantastic team to add to our dynamic culture and continue building on our success. Working at The Zebra means never being bored, always being challenged, and supporting one another. We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” who share those values.
The Zebra is an equal opportunity employer and “at will” company.
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, The Zebra provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Zebra complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Zebra expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The Zebra's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
**No external recruiters or agents, please.**