The Zebra, named a Best Place to Work in Austin four years running, is a big-thinking, user-focused, and purpose-driven company that’s changing the way consumers engage with insurance. Reporting directly into the Chief Product Officer, we’re seeking a Vice President of Research to infuse our organization and company strategy with the voice of our users. You’ll be responsible for leading an interdisciplinary team of high-performing UX and marketing researchers and representing research at the leadership level. As an experienced research leader, you’ll guide the team to connect the dots between marketing and product research to create holistic narratives and glean actionable user insights that empower The Zebra to build a distinctive brand and deliver valuable products for our users.
Your experience leading researchers and building powerful, strategic relationships with key stakeholders has yielded a track record of research insights that are strategically leveraged to inform and redefine business strategy. Throughout your career, you’ve also optimized the efficiency of research operations by maximizing existing resources and tools to significantly increase the impact of your team's work. Your expertise in building products infuses the UX researchers with best practices that provide game-changing user insights to partners quickly. Your understanding of marketing research enables the team to shed light on our users for optimal marketing strategy and messaging.
You demonstrate and embody the foundational skills of a researcher and practice active discussion, collaboration and proactive communication, instilling these characteristics in your team to build strong partnerships with Product, Design, Engineering, Marketing and other departments across the company. You embody humble and growth-mindset qualities, constantly looking to improve your skills, infusing new research and leadership best practices into your day-to-day.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Establishes a holistic research vision and user-centered, data-driven strategy in alignment with leadership to inform and support company objectives.
- Balances big-picture thinking with an iterative and tactical research approach, making sure your team of researchers are both answering the questions of today and tomorrow.
- Measures and optimizes the business value of research, using quantitative and qualitative data to influence strategy and tactical execution.
- Creates structure and instills processes that optimize the teams performance and impact, creating transparency across projects and proactively communicating with stakeholders.
- Effectively develops and manages your team’s growth and performance, practicing radical candor and creating a career framework that sets clear and high expectations to empower your team to create their best work everyday.
- Optimizes the team’s efficiency while also raising the bar on research quality (never satisfied with status quo), challenging your team to create innovative and impactful work.
- Collaborates cross-functionally with product, design, engineering, marketing, and commercialization through a partnership model, not a service or agency model.
- Engages and maintains strong visibility within the research community, staying on the pulse of latest research trends, principles, and methodologies.
REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS:
- 7+ years in research leadership role such as Senior Director, Head of, VP, or comparable position leading large teams.
- 10+ years of B2C industry experience in strategic UX research.
- Experience actively advocating on behalf of research, building an executive presence and relationships across the business that serve the needs of the research team.
- Experience establishing and driving a strong research vision across UX research aligned to company objectives and familiar with marketing research.
- Capable of translating business direction and priority into clear and actionable direction for you cross-functional teams.
- Comfortable communicating the value of research, creatively utilizing tactics to break through barriers or meet unique needs.
- Proven track record of building, developing, and scaling research teams that ship great experiences, understanding best practices around recruiting, coaching, and motivating a team including inclusion and equity.
- Experience in resolving organizational challenges and streamlining processes that scale teams in a high-growth environment.
- Strong understanding of the strengths and limitations of different methodologies, including when and how to apply them in an industry research setting.
- Detail-oriented and self-sufficient, ability to find creative solutions and build something from scratch.
- A strong understanding of brand development and multichannel marketing strategies concepts.
- Makes the most of the resources available, identifying new resource and tool needs when necessary.
- Thrives in a fast-paced, high growth and at times ambiguous environment.
EXPERIENCE THAT WILL IMPRESS THE HECK OUT OF US:
- Experience leading research for insurance or financial products.
- Experience with customer satisfaction metrics (NPS, CSAT, CES, etc.).
- Experience with brand lift/health measurement partners (i.e. Kantar, Upwave, Nielsen, etc.) and creative ad testing (i.e. Ipsos).
- Experience working in project management tools like Jira, Asana, etc.
BENEFITS + PERKS:
- Competitive Compensation & Stock Option Offering
- Health, Dental, Vision & Disability Coverages
- HSA offering + employer contribution
- 401k with match
- Unlimited PTO + flexibility to enjoy it
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Wellness perk ($100/month)
- Pet Adoption Reimbursement ($300/year)
- Learning & Development Stipends
- Bi-Monthly Wednesday Catered Lunch
- Zeal Care - Monthly wellness subscriptions ($35/month)
- Curated monthly snack box - sent to your house
- Opportunity to join Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) or drive our diversity & inclusion stance by creating your own
- Join a team that truly lives their values, and values their lives (outside of the office. Cliche, we know… but we really mean it)
ABOUT THE ZEBRA
The Zebra is the nation’s leading insurance search comparison site. With its dynamic, real-time quote comparison tool, drivers can identify insurance companies with the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs. The Zebra compares more than 100 car insurance companies and provides licensed agent support and educational resources to ensure drivers are equipped to make the most informed decisions about their policies. It’s “insurance in black and white.”
Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has garnered the attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists, and the company’s success has been profiled in publications like Inc., Time, Forbes, and TechCrunch. Austin Business Journal named The Zebra a Best Place to Work in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020. Austin American-Statesman awarded The Zebra as a Top Workplace in 2016, 2017 and 2018. Inc. Magazine also awarded The Zebra as Best Workplaces - 2018, 2019, 2020.
The Zebra is aiming to grow our fantastic team to add to our dynamic culture and continue building on our success. Working at The Zebra means never being bored, always being challenged, and supporting one another. We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” who share those values.
The Zebra is an equal opportunity employer and “at will” company.
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, The Zebra provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Zebra complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Zebra expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The Zebra's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
**No external recruiters or agents, please.**