The Zebra -- recently named one of Austin’s Best Places to Work by the Austin Business Journal -- is expanding our engineering team. We're looking for someone with sharp technical chops, lots of experience, and great mentorship skills to build upon and grow our existing engineering efforts.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will be responsible for helping us enhance and scale our internal and external products across desktop and mobile. You will also play a vital role in architecting solutions, taking projects from spec to concept and building them with high-quality, creative, simple and elegant solutions. You should love releasing well-tested code multiple times a week, be ready to take ownership and be thrilled about having broad responsibilities within a fast-growing company in a massive industry.
WHAT YOU'LL DO:
- Work closely with other engineers, designers and product owners to rapidly build, iterate, test and deploy new features and products and maintain a high-quality robust codebase
- Improve and scale the existing products and tools
- Lead and grow the other engineers through example and mentorship
- Collaborate across front end and design teams
REQUIREMENTS / QUALIFICATIONS:
- 4+ years of professional programming experience
- Exceptional and demonstrable web development experience
- Expertise with HTML/CSS
- Strong experience in taking projects from concept to UI implementation
- A passion for problem solving with strong analytical capabilities
- A desire to follow and advocate exceptional software engineering processes (including test-driven development)
- Strong browser debugging experience and skills
EXPERIENCE THAT WILL IMPRESS THE HECK OUT OF US:
- Python experience
- Django experience
- Experience with accounts and authentication
- Comfort with Linux/Unix command line
- Advanced degree in Computer Science
- A Github profile or public code portfolio
BENEFITS + PERKS:
- Competitive Compensation & Stock Option Offering
- Health, Dental, Vision & Disability Coverages
- HSA offering + employer contribution
- 401k with match
- Unlimited PTO + flexibility to enjoy it
- Paid Parental Leave Program
- Wellness perk ($100/month)
- Pet Adoption Reimbursement ($300/year)
- Learning & Development Stipends
- Bi-Monthly Wednesday Catered Lunch
- Zeal Care - Monthly wellness subscriptions ($35/month)
- Curated monthly snack box - sent to your house
- Opportunity to join Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) or drive our diversity & inclusion stance by creating your own
- Join a team that truly lives their values, and values their lives (outside of the office. Cliche, we know… but we really mean it)
ABOUT THE ZEBRA
The Zebra is the nation’s leading insurance search comparison site. With its dynamic, real-time quote comparison tool, drivers can identify insurance companies with the coverage, service level, and pricing to suit their unique needs. The Zebra compares more than 100 car insurance companies and provides licensed agent support and educational resources to ensure drivers are equipped to make the most informed decisions about their policies. It’s “insurance in black and white.”
Headquartered in Austin, Texas, The Zebra has garnered the attention and investment of some of the nation’s top venture capitalists, and the company’s success has been profiled in publications like Inc., Time, Forbes, and TechCrunch. Austin Business Journal named The Zebra a Best Place to Work in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020. Austin American-Statesman awarded The Zebra as a Top Workplace in 2016, 2017 and 2018. Inc. Magazine also awarded The Zebra as Best Workplaces - 2018, 2019, 2020.
The Zebra is aiming to grow our fantastic team to add to our dynamic culture and continue building on our success. Working at The Zebra means never being bored, always being challenged, and supporting one another. We’re a happy, hardworking group, and we’re eager to add “new stripes” who share those values.
The Zebra is an equal opportunity employer and “at will” company.
As part of our dedication to maintaining an inclusive and diverse workforce, The Zebra provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Zebra complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Zebra expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of The Zebra's employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
**No external recruiters or agents, please.**