Thesis is a cryptocurrency venture studio whose mission is to empower the individual. We seek, fund, and build products and protocols in cryptocurrency and decentralized businesses that enable personal empowerment. Our projects include Keep (now Threshold) Network, a privacy protocol for public blockchains, Fold, for earning Bitcoin on your purchases in the physical and virtual worlds, Saddle, a community owned, open source stablecoin swap protocol, and Tally Ho, a community owned and operated cryptocurrency wallet. Investors in the company include Andreessen Horowitz, Polychain Capital, and Draper Associates, among others. We are a remote-first company, led by founders who have been operating in the cryptocurrency and web3 space since 2014.
Thesis is looking for a highly talented CFO to join the team and manage the operations of the Finance (FinOps), and eventually Legal and People Operations departments at the crypto venture production studio. The FinOps team manages aspects of finances for idea-stage to post-launch projects at Thesis.
Along with compiling financial statements, owning compliance, managing the treasury of both cash and tokens, the FinOps team partners closely with the executive team in overseeing resource allocation, owning unique and diversified compensation packages, and generating detailed financial analyses to drive the business forward.
The CFO is responsible for the overall financial operations of the company, and will report to the CEO and the Board of Directors. The CFO will work closely with the C-suite and work day to day as a strategic and business partner to the CEO, COO, and leadership team.
Management, Strategy and Planning
- Act as a strategic business partner to the Leadership Team
- Assess and evaluate the financial performance of Thesis, its balance sheet, and its projects balance sheets with regard to long-term operational goals, budgets and forecasts
- Work with the VP of Finance to identify, acquire and implement systems for managing and accounting for assets both cash and digital
- Collaborate with the CEO, COO, and studio leadership team, prepare communications for the Board of Directors.
- Create and establish yearly financial objectives that align with the Company’s Strategies and Goals
- Manage the accounting, human resources, investor relations, legal, tax, and treasury departments
- Participate in pivotal decisions as they relate to strategic initiatives and operational models
Financial Analysis, Budgeting, and Forecasting
- Work with all projects at Thesis to Develop and maintain an annual, monthly, and rolling 12-months operating budget, P&L, and cashflow forecast
- Review, analyze, and present monthly financial results and provide recommendations to the project leads of each independent project at Thesis.
- Prepare and present monthly and quarterly financial reports
- Identify, develop and execute analysis of business initiatives, product launches and/or new service offerings
- Manage financial planning and analysis department. Supervise creation of reports, software implementation and tools for budgeting and forecasting
Accounting, Administration, and Operations
- Supervise and manage the finance and accounting department to ensure the proper functioning of all systems, databases and financial software
- Review and ensure application of appropriate internal controls, compliance and financial procedures
- Ensure timeliness and accuracy of financial and management reporting data and financial statements (weekly, monthly, quarterly, annually)
- Oversee the preparation and timely filing of all local, state and federal tax returns
- Ensure compliance regarding all financial functions.
- Oversee the month-end close process, constantly reviewing procedures while eliminating inefficiencies
- Enhance and implement financial and accounting systems, processes, tools and control systems
- Serve as a key point of contact for external auditors; manage preparation and support of all external audits
Finance, Accounting, and Operations Team Management
- Mentor and develop a FinOpsTeam, managing work allocation, systems training, performance evaluations, and the building of an effective and efficient team dynamic
- Effectively manage cash, cash-equivalents, AR, AP, and tokens to achieve the financial objectives of the studio and its projects
- Understand and mitigate key elements of the company's risk profile
- Monitor all open legal issues involving the company, and legal issues affecting the industry via the in house or external legal counsels
- Construct and monitor reliable control systems
- Maintain appropriate insurance coverage
- Ensure that the company complies with all legal and regulatory requirements
- Ensure that record keeping meets the requirements of auditors and government agencies
- Proven experience as CFO, finance officer or relevant role in a high growth company.
- Comprehensive experience with US GAAP
- Startup experience preferred, remote-first preferred, cryptocurrency and blockchain exposure a bonus
- Ideally have experience with businesses from $0-$500M in total market value
- Proven track-record of managing a team and developing talent within an organization
VP of Finance, FinOps Manager (future), Legal (future)