Hearst News Digital is seeking an Interactive Developer for our Product Technology team who will work closely with a number of stakeholders to build best-in-class digital news and advertising products viewed by millions of readers every day.
The ideal candidate will be an energetic consumer advocate, collaborative creative thinker, and detail-oriented self-starter who can support stakeholders across the organization. While there is often a focus on the front-end, we're also looking for strong back-end experience - someone who is passionate about web technologies and performance, with the skill to optimize for scalability and speed.
You will help create innovative digital products, across the backend and frontend, that push the boundaries of how journalism, is consumed by readers. We value critical thinking and multiple points of view, and as such we are committed to building a culturally diverse team.
What you'll be doing...
- Jumping into our technology stack and start producing code with a direct impact on the direction of the product, site, and team while providing real value to the end-user and editorial teams
- Contributing to the stack from front-end to mobile and back-end services and single-site web applications, ad product (creative and native), and services
- Staying transparent with development and service standards to ensure that they are met with multiple stakeholders.
- Building editorial tools, ad products, and services for Hearst Newspapers including but not limited to Houston Chronicle, San Francisco Chronicle, San Antonio Express-News, and Albany Times Union
- Continuously improving the performance of websites and services
- Ability to identify and troubleshoot web site outages, and work safely in a production environment.
What we're looking for...
- BA/BS/MS or relevant experience preferably in the digital / online media or tech industry
- 14+ years of web development experience
- Experience with common JS frameworks but ability to code plain JS as needed
- In-depth understanding of the LAMP stack - including CLI, configuring, and troubleshooting
- Experienced in ad technologies and platforms
- An appreciation for UX; from reading experience, accessibility, to best practices
- Experience building and maintaining back-end framework-oriented sites built with PHP, Laravel, Composer, Node.js, MySQL; integrations with APIs and social networks
- Ability to work well with others to maintain documentation and architectural overview
- Excellent communication skills
We’re open to technologies that can help to get the job done, so past experience outside of the LAMP stack is a welcome addition. A healthy disdain for jQuery is always appreciated.
Email a resume (no need for a cover letter unless you'd like to add extra info): email@example.com
NYC AREA CANDIDATES ONLY
NO RECRUITERS PLEASE