The San Francisco Chronicle is looking for a copy desk chief versatile enough to help run a semi-universal desk (Features, News, Business -- knowledge of Sports a plus). We are looking for a seasoned veteran who can work fast when necessary without losing sight of accuracy -- functioning under often fast-moving print and digital deadlines.
- Writes or improves clear, accurate, creative, appropriate and specific headlines and cutlines, while upholding the highest standard of journalistic ethics and balance;
- Motivates members of the copy desk to meet the goals of the desk and the paper; providing consistent feedback;
- Remains calm under pressure and communicates effectively under the duress of deadlines, breaking news, changing news and desk priorities;
- Schedules workflow to meet deadline and control overtime;
- Writes effective and appropriate performance evaluations and manage conflicts appropriately;
- Is a good listener and communicates effectively at all levels and among departments; keeps supervisor and staff well informed.
- At least five years at a metro daily;
- Someone who consistently looks for ways we can strengthen our digital and print workflows;
- Schedule: Possible weekend and/or holiday work.
The Chronicle and SFChronicle.com are world-class journalism, San Francisco style. With name-brand voices and a keen editorial eye, The Chronicle is an authority that still surprises. It’s not afraid of being controversial or of doing things that haven’t been done. It’s bolder, brighter, and fearless. It’s news that is delivered to the discerning reader through multiple platforms.
SFGate provides a 360-degree view of San Francisco, wildly reflective of right now. Provocative, energetic and unapologetic, the Gate is in constant conversation with the world's most eclectic city. It is the digital thermometer that gauges the temperature of San Francisco's moods, trends and interests — and shares them with the world.