The San Francisco Chronicle is looking for a Financial Analyst to partner with our Newsroom. As a Financial Analyst, your work, whether it's modeling business scenarios or tracking performance metrics, is used by our leaders to make strategic company decisions. A master juggler working on multiple projects at a time, you are focused on the details while finding creative ways to tackle big picture challenges.
We are looking for someone with the analytical rigor and strategic thinking to drive our business and business generation forward. This is an exciting role that provides full finance support to business partners as well as offering scope for leadership of individual analytical projects. You will work in close partnership with highly talented finance colleagues from across the region and consult on planning, reporting and decision support for the wide range of activities that acquire, delight and retain our users, advertisers and employees (e.g., investment strategies for products, key market drivers or business profitability and resource allocation).
You are an analyst who wants to make your mark on a successful and growing team, and who wants to further develop already strong business partnering skills. You are an excellent communicator who enjoys collaborating with people who possess a diverse set of talents. You are a strong time manager and are able to prioritize effectively while creating space for original thinking and thoughtful analysis to support our executives.
From developing forward-thinking analysis to generating management reports to scaling our automated financial processes, the Finance organization is an important partner and advisor to the business.
- Collaborate with the other finance department managers and business partners to support overall department and company goals and objectives.
- Use data to architect metrics, solve problems, and influence executive decision-making.
- Monthly forecast for various departments.
- Responsible for partnered department monthly expenses and variances (which includes departmental accruals, etc).
- Lead efforts to building new processes and structure in improving partner relationship (creating presentations, working meetings, etc).
- Develop new tools in order to drive scalable analysis and insight.
- Support corporate controller with other projects and responsibilities as needed.
- Lead decision making on investment strategies for products, identification of key market drivers for business generation and business profitability, and resource allocation.
- BA / BS degree in Finance, Accounting, or equivalent field.
- 3 - 5 years of relevant work experience.
- Strong ability to turn data into actionable insights.
- Impeccable business judgment, with the ability to motivate colleagues and collaborate effectively to help influence senior leadership.
- Excellent quantitative, written, and presentation skills; innovative, organized, thorough. Eagerness to further develop these skills
- Proficient with Excel
- Experience with Hyperion is higher desirable
About the San Francisco Chronicle & SF Gate:
The Chronicle is world-class journalism, San Francisco style. With name-brand voices and a keen editorial eye, The Chronicle is an authority that still surprises. It’s not afraid of being controversial or of doing things that haven’t been done. It’s bolder, brighter, fearless. It’s news that is delivered to the discerning reader through multiple platforms.
SF Gate provides a 360-degree view of San Francisco, wildly reflective of right now. Provocative, energetic and unapologetic, the Gate is in constant conversation with the world's most eclectic city. It is the digital thermometer that gauges the temperature of San Francisco's moods, trends and interests — and shares them with the world.
Join our team of world-class journalists and exceptional professionals.