Sports Reporter (Seahawks) – seattlepi.com / Hearst
If you love the idea of finding a Seahawks story that differentiates our coverage in the market, while respecting objective journalism, legal issues, and copyrights, this may be the career move for you.
If you can bust out straight breaking news quickly and accurately while simultaneously monitoring trends on Tweetdeck, and chatting with your boss via IM -- and do it all with a smile -- this may be the career move for you.
Play a central role at one of the best newsrooms and content creators in the Pacific Northwest. Seattlepi.com is looking for an innovative and experienced sports reporter to provide Seahawks coverage for die-hard and casual fans alike. The reporter will focus on capturing the culture around the Seahawks, not just the day to day operations of the team. This is a full-time position that includes occasional weekends and holidays. This role will create daily stories, videos, and feature content to be distributed on the seattlepi.com homepage and through all of our social media channels – as well as on other Hearst newspaper sites including SFGate.com.
The ideal candidate will proactively self-assign stories that are on the verge of going viral. He/she is an idea generator with a deep knowledge of sports. He/she should be able to create 3-5 stories a day while managing analytics and best practices and bringing innovative multimedia, multi-platform, multi-social network ideas to a larger team.
What You'll Do:
- Cover games and spend a significant amount of time at the Seahawks training facility, covering practices and press conferences
- Some coverage of the Seattle Mariners, Seattle Sounders and University of Washington athletics
- Write 3-5 stories each day on a range of sports topics of interest to Seattle readers, with a bent toward analysis and commentary
- Select stories with an eye for audience engagement and traffic, looking for unique angles and offering a different perspective than traditional sports coverage
- Create daily stories, photo galleries, and videos for seattlepi.com and do live coverage reporting
- Monitor trending topics from social media to inform editorial decisions
- Communicate and coordinate with the other Hearst newspaper sites, especially SFGate.com
- Bring fresh ideas to daily content creation and social media promotion
Desired Skills and Experience:
- 2+ years of sports reporting experience, but can be radio, TV, or another medium; ideally experience covering football
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism
- Knowledge of the Seahawks; some knowledge of the Mariners and Sounders; University of Washington and Pac-12 athletics coverage a plus
- Open to experimenting and covering sports in new ways
- Excellent news judgment and ability to find interesting perspectives and angles on a story
- Comfort with video, video editing, and photography
- Experience with social media, in particular Twitter and Facebook
- Team player who works collaboratively