Do you enjoy supporting the development of young talent? Are you a good relationship builder? Do you want to be on the frontlines of a global movement that will transform youth leadership development? Would you like to work with a diverse team of innovative and dedicated doers? Would you say communication is one of your superpowers? Are you keen on discovering new levels of personal and professional excellence?
Well, this might just be the job for you!
In 2035, Africa will have the largest workforce in the world and will need to catalyse transformation by empowering its largest untapped resource - its people. Fuelled by this, the African Leadership Group is an ecosystem of institutions with a shared vision to harness Africa's abundant human capital and transform the continent and the world by selecting, developing, and connecting 2 million young leaders to opportunities by 2030. ALG was founded over 15 years ago by Fred Swaniker, a serial entrepreneur recognised by Time Magazine as one of the 100 most influential people of 2019. ALX and The Room are two brands of the African Leadership Group.
ALX is our training arm, focused on developing skills for the fourth industrial revolution (software engineering, devops, data science, etc.) to ensure that Africa is able to compete effectively as the world undergoes a digital transformation. To cement this, through our legal entity African Leadership International (ALI), we have signed an agreement to acquire Silicon Valley based Holberton Inc. – a project-based, college alternative educating the next generation of software engineers. This will give us ownership of the advanced technology program that will enable us to provide global organizations access to significant untapped pools of talent that can bridge the growing global shortage of technology talent. For more on this, please read this article here.
The Room our talent placement arm, is a community that our young talent join to access global work opportunities. To learn more about us, please read this article about why we launched The Room & this article about the impact of our development programs on African youth. View this pitch deck to see how we present ourselves to employers.
ABOUT THE JOBURG RECRUITMENT TEAM
The Joburg Recruitment Team is responsible for the promotion of the ALX programs to potential students responding to the various programs in real time. We are the on the ground human touchpoint in the application process and therefore play a crucial part in reaffirming the tone and strengthening relationships that will constitute a sticky community moving forward. The mandate of the team is to gather and offer insights to identify which of the programs would best suit a potential candidate based on their interests. We set out to engage and develop partnerships with the purpose of maximising conversion of leads to candidates as securing strategic partnerships within specific markets drives our ability to access talent pools. In pursuit of our mission, we encourage creativity, experimentation and collaboration. We embrace risks and treat failure as an opportunity to learn and improve. We seek those that have a beginners’ mindset, are lifelong learners, thrive in uncertain circumstances and uncharted territory, and have a deep passion for youth engagement.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are selecting and training high performing young people across various programs. Our flagship program is our Software Engineering training in partnership with Holberton School. In addition to this, we train and develop talent in other verticals, such as Salesforce administration, Data analytics, Data Sciences and AWS Cloud practitioners.
As a Student Recruitment Intern, your primary task is to support our prospects to become applicants. You will do so by, advising and guiding them through the application process. You will need to have a deep understanding of our programs in order to sufficiently identify and recommend the programs that each candidate is best suited for, think not just conversions but right fit and high quality!
As a Student Recruitment Intern, your role will include:
- Event support: conducting general event coordination and liaison tasks to ensure success such as adequately tracking registration numbers and invoice handling for processing and payment to vendors.
- Application support: provide guidance and support proactively correspond with application starters and provide real time support to aid them in completion of the process. The data garnered from these communications will go towards informing marketing and program selection efforts.
Your KPIs will be:
- Time to source qualified candidates
- % of qualified candidates converted to applicants
- A bachelor’s degree or post secondary certificate in any field.
- Google suite proficiency
- Relationship-driven. Highly skilled communicator with strong customer service focus and desire to do what’s best for our customers at all times
- Attention to detail, to ensure you deliver the best customer experience and promptly follow up on all the information they need
- Strong passion to succeed, contagious energy and desire to have fun in the process
- Excellent communication and presentation skills: you can effectively articulate and communicate ideas both verbally and in writing
- Time management: you can effectively divide your time between specific activities; you have demonstrated ability to plan, multi-task, and adhere to deadlines
- Interpersonal skills: you have a collaborative mindset and can work well with others
- Humility and openness to feedback: you are always looking to learn and have an insatiable curiosity and hunger to grow
NICE TO HAVE:
- Reliable transport and a valid drivers licence.
- A fun, friendly and outgoing personality