Are you an entrepreneurial leader who enjoys building things and can operate with ambiguity? Are you nimble and agile? Can you create high performing teams? Do you enjoy operations and ‘getting things done’ with excellence? Are you adept at using data to make decisions? Are you strong with finance and excited about driving revenue & owning a P&L? Then this could be the role for you.
In 2035, Africa will have the largest workforce in the world and will need to catalyse transformation by empowering its largest untapped resource - its people. The African Leadership Group is an ecosystem of institutions with a shared vision to harness Africa’s abundant human capital and transform the continent and the world by selecting, developing, and connecting 2 million ethical and entrepreneurial leaders by 2030. ALG was founded over 15 years ago by Fred Swaniker, a serial entrepreneur recognised by Time Magazine as one of the 100 most influential people of 2019.
ALX and The Room are two brands of the African Leadership Group. ALX is our training arm, focused on developing skills for the fourth industrial revolution - software engineering, data science, UX design, cyber security, etc. - to ensure that Africa is able to compete effectively as the world undergoes a digital transformation. The Room is our connection arm, a community that our young talent join to access a lifetime of extraordinary opportunities and meaningful relationships. To learn more about us, please read this article about why we launched The Room & this article about the impact of our development programs in African youth.
ABOUT THE CITY COMMUNITY TEAM
Do you enjoy creating something out of nothing? The City Teams are startups within a larger startup. Each City Team harnesses the power of The Room global network by training exceptional talent and connecting them to jobs and other opportunities for professional development. Along the way, each team unlocks value by making it easier for companies to find the top talent they need. Each City Team is like a standalone business that is blazing a new path for The Room, but is supported by the history and reputation of the African Leadership Group.
In pursuit of our mission, we encourage autonomy, creativity, and experimentation. We embrace risks and failure. We seek those that have a beginners’ mindset, are lifelong learners, thrive in uncertain circumstances and uncharted territory, and have a deep passion for youth engagement.
If you're entrepreneurial and ready to work in a hyper-growth environment, this is a chance to build a new business and learn an insane amount in a compressed period of time.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As the General Manager, your mission is to grow The Room Lagos community while driving its commercial success and impact. You will build and oversee a high performing team, run day to day operations, and oversee revenue generation. As General Manager, you will be responsible for:
- Creating work opportunities for young Africans: You will help to facilitate work opportunities for young Africans in Lagos by enabling early career top talent to build relationships with mid-career members in The Room and local corporate partners
- Membership Growth: You will ensure that the community grows, while maintaining its high caliber membership
- P&L Ownership: You will have full P&L ownership as you grow revenue and manage costs to ensure profitability and sustainability
- Business Development & partnerships: You will establish strategic partnerships with key stakeholders,
- Setting up a local franchise: You will identify a hospitality partner to host the physical space/member’s club called ‘The Room’ (once Lagos has a critical mass of members)
- Serving as the local Face of The Room: you will be The Room’s representative in key forums and with local media etc.
- Managing stakeholders: You will build and maintain key stakeholder relationships.
- Driving a culture of execution: You will serve as the custodian of The Room’s entrepreneurial ‘doer’ culture, rolling up your sleeves as a Founder--from engaging with VIPs and celebrities to setting the table for an intimate gathering -- no job is out of scope.
- Membership Growth: Measure by monthly new member growth
- Customer experience: Measured by member net promoter score
- Commercial success: Annual Recurring Revenue, Gross profit
- Impact: Number of work opportunities created for young talent
- 5+ years of experience in management consulting, finance, or operations management
- 3+ years experience building partnerships
- Entrepreneurial DNA & high level of self-motivation
- Strong business and financial acumen.
- Strong relationship building skills & stakeholder management.
- ‘Roll up Sleeves’ GYSHIDO mindset
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience building & managing lean, high-performance teams.
- Ability to work in a dynamic and changing environment
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, highly organised and agile
- Data-Driven decision making
- Highly proficient with Microsoft Office and G-suite, especially Excel (intermediate skills minimum)
- Capable of building financial models.
- Experience in a subscription-based or community business is a plus
- Flexibility to travel frequently around your region, as well as working late nights and weekends as and when required
This position is based in Lagos, Nigeria and all applicants need to have work authorization to be considered.
Would you like to join us as we work hard, have fun and make history?