Do you believe in humanity’s ability to self-improve? Are you passionate about leveraging technology to solve human-centric problems? Do you enjoy bringing structure, order and building quantifiable roadmaps for visionary outcomes that may take a generation or more to realize? Do you possess an owner’s approach with the ability to deliver with minimal supervision? Are you a perfectionist who embraces failure?
Well, this just might be the role for you!
ABOUT THE ROOM
Our mission at The Room is to help the world's most extraordinary talent to fulfil its potential. We do this by selecting the most extraordinary talent in every city, engaging them through in-person experiences, and connecting them to exceptional opportunities for impact. We are building a global community of extraordinary talent who do hard things. The Room is part of the African Leadership Group and is designed to ultimately create opportunities for millions of talented young Africans. To learn more about the philosophy behind The Room, please read this article & go through this deck.
The Room is part of the African Leadership Group, an ecosystem of 4 institutions with 15+ years of experience and a proven track record of developing Africa’s future generation of leaders. We were listed as one of the 50 most innovative companies (alongside Alibaba & Amazon) in 2019 by Fast Company.
ABOUT THE TECHNOLOGY TEAM
The mission of the Technology Team is to build the technology platform and digital products that will enable us to connect our talent to opportunities at scale when we reach our community of 10M members from across the world.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As a Delivery Manager, your role will be to support the building of world-class engineering teams that are able to deliver the platforms and products we need to enable us to meet our goal of connecting talent to opportunities at scale. You will play a pivotal role in owning and managing your team’s delivery and ways of working to ensure we continuously improve our efficiency and quality. Strong communication and organisational skills are a must as you will often liaise and bridge communications between various teams and stakeholders. We believe in being Agile and often employ Scrum or Kanban practices.
Specifically, your role will be to:
- Facilitate various Agile ceremonies, support decision making, manage dependencies, help communicate delivery progress and challenges
- Ensure team members are unblocked on a daily basis
- Work closely with the Product Manager and Engineers to ensure efficiency of delivery and assist in meeting roadmap delivery ambitions
- Ensure stories reach the definition of ready during sprint planning and tasks are clear for the team.
- Feed into the release planning cycles alongside the product team and Head of Engineering
- Own and run the stand ups and be the voice of the team when communicating upward and outwards
- Own and facilitates regular retrospectives for Sprints, Goals and processes
- Ideally line management of engineers within your team
- Support Head of Engineering to drive engineering strategic goals
- Assist with formulation, monitoring and achievement of OKRs across engineering
- Assists with JIRA administration
- Demonstrable examples of supporting improved speed to deliver quality, valuable software products and features.
- Strong organisational skills.
- Experience working with both internal engineering teams as well as external development partners a plus
- Experience of line managing mid and senior engineers a plus
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment.
- Experience fulfilling the Delivery Manager, Project Manager or Scrum Master role for at least three years with software development teams diligently applying Agile principles, practices, and theory.
- Working knowledge of servant leadership, ceremony facilitation, situational awareness, conflict resolution, continuous improvement, team empowerment, and improving transparency
- Demonstrable knowledge of measuring and communicating success to all stakeholders in an Agile environment
- Experience working with young, growing companies a big plus. Understanding the balance between ensuring processes are lightweight yet still bringing value
This is a remote role.