Are you inspired to work in a highly innovative organisation solving difficult problems? Are you excited to apply quantitative expertise to crack complex and large-scale challenges? Do you love being at the forefront of data strategy and operations? If so, then this role is for you! We are looking for a strategic and inquisitive Data Analyst with solid statistics, experimental, storytelling, and collaboration skills to develop and run with data-centred projects.
ABOUT THE ROOM
At The Room, we partner with mission-driven doers to accelerate their impact. We do this by creating a space where exceptional individuals connect to each other and opportunities that allow them to do work that matters. Individuals from around the world find and share opportunities, events, networks and resources to co-create a collective where “success” becomes “significance”. The Room enables our members to become the best version of themselves while sharing in the joy and fulfilment of helping others do the same.
ABOUT THE MEMBER OPPORTUNITIES TEAM
The Member Opportunities Tribe is at the core of the Room’s impact. Home to the Pathfinders, we are at the forefront of connecting Room Members to life-changing and career-propelling opportunities. Our Pathfinders are connectors, thought-partners, guides, and the greatest cheerleaders to our members. At the same time, our opportunities exchange squad acts as a conduit for sourcing and managing relevant opportunities for them. Both teams require a robust data management system to support their functions.
ABOUT THE ROLE
On a daily basis, The Member Opportunities team handles thousands of data points. As we build our systems, we are looking for a strong data-oriented individual to spearhead our team’s data management strategy and implementation.
In this role, you will manage the end to end vision and implementation of our data needs and ensure that they are aligned with the organisation’s goals. This means you will start by looking at the organisation’s goals and cascading those down to the team’s goals. Once those are clear, you will identify all the primary and secondary metrics that need to be tracked for the team to meet its targets. That will be followed by a clear sense of how and where we should track these metrics. To enable this, you will collaborate productively with the Technology and Data team to drive a “data-first” mindset across the team. As a data-oriented organisation, we must use our data on a weekly basis to track progress and change course (if necessary) based on the data. In this role, you will ensure that data isn’t simply being collected; you will also provide accurate analysis and get the team to derive insights from the results.
This role is a very dynamic one where your days will be different. In some instances, you might be programming our dashboards, and other days you could be setting up experiments we need to test within the team. Change is the only constant when working with us.
That said, some core functions are the topmost priority for the role:
- Data Strategy: What outcomes do we need to track? How do these outcomes drive business outcomes? How do we collect and use this data, and at what cadence?
- Data Collection Systems: Design and Implement the tactical systems will we use to collect data.
- Data Analysis: Translate raw data into helpful decision influencing insights. Essentially, be the thought leader to unlock our data’s value, from descriptive, to diagnostic, to predictive, to prescriptive.
- Data Storytelling and Visualization: Aggregate, summarise, and use data transformed into visuals to communicate critical insights tailored to specific audiences (including non-data specialists) and with a compelling narrative in a way that augments their full comprehension of the information.
- Experimentation: How should we set up our experiments to ensure that the correct data collection systems are in place and can support analytics?
- 3+ years of industry experience in data analysis and data presentation
- Bachelors/Masters in Computer Science or Applied Mathematics, Statistics or any Analytical discipline
- Strong drive to be data-driven and make decisions based on data
- Full proficiency in SQL-like languages or any computer programming language
- Experience in managing large data sets and relational databases
- Experience with either or both Statistics and Experimental Design
- Strong storytelling and visualization skills
- Proficient in Data Visualization tools like Tableau, Power BI, Google data studio
- Experience with Python, R will be a big plus
- Strong communication, presentation and collaboration skills to work across teams
- Naturally detail-oriented
This is a remote position that can be based out of anywhere in the world.