Are you inspired to work in a highly innovative organisation solving difficult problems? Are you excited to apply quantitative expertise to crack complex and large-scale challenges? Do you love being at the forefront of data strategy and operations? If so, then this role is for you!
We are for an enthusiastic and creative BI Designer/Engineer to join the team. The role will focus on designing and optimizing front end BI dashboards and reports. The engineer should be able to liaise with the internal customers to understand requirements and user stories.
In 2035, Africa will have the largest workforce in the world and will need to catalyse transformation by empowering its largest untapped resource - its people. Fuelled by this, the African Leadership Group is an ecosystem of institutions with a shared vision to harness Africa's abundant human capital and transform the continent and the world by selecting, developing, and connecting 2 million young leaders to opportunities by 2030. ALG was founded over 15 years ago by Fred Swaniker, a serial entrepreneur recognised by Time Magazine as one of the 100 most influential people of 2019. ALX and The Room are two brands of the African Leadership Group.
ALX is our training arm, focused on developing skills for the fourth industrial revolution (software engineering, devops, data science, etc.) to ensure that Africa is able to compete effectively as the world undergoes a digital transformation. To cement this, through our legal entity African Leadership International (ALI), we have signed an agreement to acquire Silicon Valley based Holberton Inc. – a project-based, college alternative educating the next generation of software engineers. This will give us ownership of the advanced technology program that will enable us to provide global organizations access to significant untapped pools of talent that can bridge the growing global shortage of technology talent. For more on this, please read this article here.
The Room our talent placement arm, is a community that our young talent join to access global work opportunities. To learn more about us, please read this article about why we launched The Room & this article about the impact of our development programs on African youth. View this pitch deck to see how we present ourselves to employers.
ABOUT THE TECHNOLOGY TEAM
The mission of the Technology Team is to build the technology platform and digital products that will enable us to connect our talent to opportunities at scale when we reach our community of 10M members from across the world.
ABOUT THE ROLE
On a daily basis, The Tech & Data Team handles thousands of data points. As we build our systems, we are looking for a strong data-oriented individual to spearhead our team’s data management strategy and implementation.
In this role, you will manage the end to end vision and implementation of our data needs and ensure that they are aligned with the organisation’s goals. This means you will start by looking at the organisation’s goals and cascading those down to the team’s goals. Once those are clear, you will identify all the primary and secondary metrics that need to be tracked for the team to meet its targets. That will be followed by a clear sense of how and where we should track these metrics. To enable this, you will collaborate productively with different teams within the organization to drive a “data-first” mindset across the team. As a data-oriented organisation, we must use our data on a weekly basis to track progress and change course (if necessary) based on the data. In this role, you will ensure that data isn’t simply being collected; you will also provide accurate analysis and get the team to derive insights from the results.
This role is a very dynamic one where your days will be different. In some instances, you might be programming our dashboards, and other days you could be setting up experiments we need to test within the team. Change is the only constant when working with us.
That said, some core functions are the topmost priority for the role:
- Data Strategy: What outcomes do we need to track? How do these outcomes drive business outcomes? How do we collect and use this data, and at what cadence?
- Data Collection Systems: Work with the data engineers to design and implement the tactical systems will we use to collect data.
- Data Analysis: Translate raw data into helpful decision influencing insights. Essentially, be the thought leader to unlock our data’s value, from descriptive, to diagnostic, to predictive, to prescriptive.
- Data Storytelling and Visualization: Aggregate, summarise, and use data transformed into visuals to communicate critical insights tailored to specific audiences (including non-data specialists) and with a compelling narrative in a way that augments their full comprehension of the information.
- Experimentation: How should we set up our experiments to ensure that the correct data collection systems are in place and can support analytics?
- 3+ years of industry experience in data analysis and data presentation
- Excellent team & communication skills
- Bachelors/Masters in Computer Science or Applied Mathematics, Statistics or any Analytical discipline
- Fluent in SQL
- Strong drive to be data-driven and make decisions based on data
- Experience working with large data sets and relational databases
- Experience with either or both Statistics and Experimental Design
- Experience developing an enterprise data platform and associated tooling.
- Experience building a big data platform or data lake ingest and management
- Good knowledge of Data Science and Analytics principles
- Experience building building ETL jobs for reporting
- Experience working with DWH solutions
- Python fluency
- Experience working with NoSQL databases
- Experience working with two sided marketplaces and/or social networks
- Experience in advertising/marketing/customer retention/customer acquisition/product development