The Gemologist at The RealReal supports the Fine Jewelry and Watch department through the application and teaching of core gemology and pricing methodology, compiling and organizing research and training materials, and maintaining The RealReal merchandising standards through monitoring consignments containing gem material - ensuring quality, productivity and consignor service level agreements.
You are a collaborator and passionate gemologist who identifies opportunities and strives for business success. You have industry knowledge and experience with secondary market pricing principles and application. This role will report to the Senior Gemologist. Key partners include: Fine Jewelry & Watch Production, Jewelry Authentication, Consignor/Customer Service, Returns, Inbound/Outbound Operations teams, Luxury Consignment Offices.
What You Get To Do Every Day
- Teach and apply complex concepts as part of building a knowledgeable and efficient Fine Jewelry Specialist production and Luxury Consignment Office teams and support inbound supply
- Promote quality expectations and hold the team accountable, in partnership with Production management; ensure standards and adherence to SOPs through hands-on-training, routine assessments and audits
- Uphold accuracy, consistency and quality of: standards and methodologies, information sources and reference guides, gem identification and grading, weight estimation, pricing, performance metrics and system information
- Maintain gemological and industry knowledge of identification, grading, synthetics, treatments, equipment, pricing and market trends; inform management of important activity and essential information and update internal references
- Support Fine Jewelry Production, Luxury Consignment Office and Consignor/Customer Service teams in gem identification and pricing research, and inquiry response
What You Bring To The Role
- 3+ years jewelry industry experience; laboratory experience preferred
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university required. Concentration or advanced degree in mineralogy or geology preferred
- GIA Graduate Gemologist diploma or equivalent required
- Fluency in GIA grading standards for diamonds, colored stones and pearls
- Intermediate to advanced technical expertise, including gemological identification of material, synthetics, treatments; equipment, testing protocol and result/conclusion; primary and secondary market pricing principles; and weight estimation know-how and proficiency
- The ability to prioritize multiple time-sensitive tasks and/or escalate issues
- The skills to work effectively and collaboratively in teams and cross-functionally to meet shared goals and deadlines
- Attention to detail, strong organizational and communication skills, geared towards large groups
- Solid analytical skills
The expected salary range for this role is $57,317.00 - $73,693.00. To determine starting pay we carefully consider a variety of factors, including primary work location and an evaluation of a candidate’s skills, experience, market demands, and internal parity. Additionally, salary is just one component of TRR’s total rewards package. Depending on role, employees may also be eligible for a bonus program, incentive pay and benefits.
GHR6779 #LI-SB28 #LI-Onsite
The RealReal is the world’s largest online marketplace for authenticated, resale luxury goods, with more than 20 million members. With a rigorous authentication process overseen by experts, The RealReal provides a safe and reliable platform for consumers to buy and sell their luxury items. We have hundreds of in-house gemologists, horologists and brand authenticators who inspect thousands of items each day. As a sustainable company, we give new life to pieces by thousands of brands across numerous categories—including women's and men's fashion, fine jewelry and watches, art and home—in support of the circular economy. We make selling effortless with free virtual appointments, in-home pickup, drop-off and direct shipping. We do all of the work for consignors, including authenticating, using AI and machine learning to determine optimal pricing, photographing and listing their items, as well as handling shipping and customer service. At our 13 retail locations, including our eight shoppable stores, customers can sell, meet with our experts and receive free valuations.
The RealReal is committed to providing an equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or Veteran status. We will consider qualified applicants for a position regardless of arrest or conviction records. At TRR, People Come First. That’s why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can read about our Diversity Equity and Inclusion program here.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.