Ready for an authentic experience? You’ll hit the ground running and have an opportunity to create real-world business solutions at The RealReal. We are the world’s largest online marketplace for authenticated, consigned luxury goods. This 10 week paid internship program will kick off in June 2022, and provide exposure to our Jewelry Labs and technology innovations that are truly disrupting the luxury resale industry.
University of Arizona GeoScience Interns will join our team at The RealReal, participating in its daily life. You’ll attend huddles, team all-hands, learn to use our state-of-the-art tools, and learn about the work that goes into authenticating luxury goods. The first few weeks of your internship will be ramping up and tackling smaller tasks - after which you will tackle a signature project. These projects are appropriately scoped, will provide meaningful business value, and will be presented to senior executives at the end of your internship. At the end of your time at The RealReal, you’ll walk away with valuable experience working in an organization at scale - and a feature you can be proud of!
** Our summer 2022 internships are available to students enrolled in the University of Arizona GeoScience. Locations are in Jewelry Labs in Phoenix, AZ; Manhattan, or Perth Amboy and Secaucus, NJ. **
What You Get To Do Every Day
- Support Fine Jewelry Specialist by hands-on use of equipment such as Raman spectrometer & UofA weight estimation device operations to analyze gem material and XRF machine to analyze metals and jewelry materials
- Develop proposals for best practices/new applications for devices in the context of TRR
- Conduct research for best practices of technology across jewelry industry
- Support Fine Jewelry Authentication & Gemologist team to help build the Specialist training program by cataloging training products, developing strategies for recycling of unusable items, conducting research, and expanding collection reference guides.
What You Bring To The Role
- Rising Senior pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Gem Science at University of Arizona
- Completion of 200-300 level core courses (ie GEOS 251 - GEOS 356)
- Completion or future enrollment to 400 level courses (ie GEOS 462, MSE 480)
- Professional maturity, responsibility and strong work ethic
- Organized, able to multitask, detail-oriented with
- Knowledge of Google Suite (or experience in MS Office suite)
- An organized approach to prioritizing projects and the ability to multitask
- Want to make a meaningful impact on the world around you
- Must be available to work 25 hours a week
- Authorized to work in the United States
GHR5307 #LI-SB28 #LI-Onsite
The RealReal is the world’s largest online marketplace for authenticated, resale luxury goods, with more than 20 million members. With a rigorous authentication process overseen by experts, The RealReal provides a safe and reliable platform for consumers to buy and sell their luxury items. We have hundreds of in-house gemologists, horologists and brand authenticators who inspect thousands of items each day. As a sustainable company, we give new life to pieces by thousands of brands across numerous categories—including women's and men's fashion, fine jewelry and watches, art and home—in support of the circular economy. We make selling effortless with free virtual appointments, in-home pickup, drop-off and direct shipping. We do all of the work for consignors, including authenticating, using AI and machine learning to determine optimal pricing, photographing and listing their items, as well as handling shipping and customer service. At our 13 retail locations, including our eight shoppable stores, customers can sell, meet with our experts and receive free valuations.
The RealReal is committed to providing an equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or Veteran status. We will consider qualified applicants for a position regardless of arrest or conviction records.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.