The RealReal Seller Acquisition team is looking for a kind and curious Senior Software Engineer who enjoys solving challenging problems.
Our awesome team of friendly humans is responsible for making it easy and compelling for individuals to consign items with The RealReal. We place a strong focus on individual growth and personal development on our collaborative engineering team.
As a Senior Software Engineer you will be an active hands-on contributor as well as a strong influencer for our technical direction. You will be able to lead and contribute to significant initiatives as well as provide mentorship through code reviews and pairing.
We are especially excited about you if you are enthusiastic about working in the luxury retail/e-commerce space or if you are passionate about our mission of sustainability in creating a circular economy for high-end goods.
This role reports to the Engineering Manager of Seller Acquisition and can be fully remote.
What You Get To Do Every Day
- Produce high-quality, performant, and testable code that directly contributes to company-wide initiatives
- Develop using interesting technologies -- Elixir, Ruby, Typescript/React, GraphQL, Kafka
- Have significant input into technical decisions that will shape the future of our software systems
- Learn something new, whether its a new software design pattern or new initiative to push the company forward
- Review pull requests and provide constructive feedback to your peers
- Pair up with a team member to work together on features
- Deploy user-facing code to production
What You Bring To The Role
- 3-5 years professional software development experience
- Fluency with either Elixir, Ruby, or another object-oriented programming language
- Experience with a distributed systems
- Familiarity with event based architectures, database fundamentals and GraphQL
- Enthusiasm for solving problems for our users with technology
- Curiosity about retail/e-commerce, the high-end consignment market, and/or how to create a sustainable, circular economy for luxury goods
- Experience with Typescript/React
- Experience with Kafka for event-streaming
- Experience extracting microservices from a monolith
The RealReal is the world’s largest online marketplace for authenticated, resale luxury goods, with more than 20 million members. With a rigorous authentication process overseen by experts, The RealReal provides a safe and reliable platform for consumers to buy and sell their luxury items. We have hundreds of in-house gemologists, horologists and brand authenticators who inspect thousands of items each day. As a sustainable company, we give new life to pieces by thousands of brands across numerous categories—including women's and men's fashion, fine jewelry and watches, art and home—in support of the circular economy. We make selling effortless with free virtual appointments, in-home pickup, drop-off and direct shipping. We do all of the work for consignors, including authenticating, using AI and machine learning to determine optimal pricing, photographing and listing their items, as well as handling shipping and customer service. At our 13 retail locations, including our eight shoppable stores, customers can sell, meet with our experts and receive free valuations.
The RealReal is committed to providing an equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or Veteran status. We will consider qualified applicants for a position regardless of arrest or conviction records.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.