At The RealReal, we are building a world-class DevOps culture by growing and investing in our Cloud Infrastructure team to support the growth of the Company and the Technology organization. As our Senior Cloud Infrastructure Engineer you will be exposed to the latest technology, a pervasive data-driven culture, while immersed in a friendly, helpful engineering organization. As a member of a small team, you’ll be able to shape the evolution of our cloud technology stack and represent our team to the rest of the organization.
This position reports to the Sr. Director of Technical Operations and as part of our team, you will develop and build our infrastructure and code pipelines. Major projects may include platform migrations, multi-region high-availability deployments, CI/CD pipelines, metrics and observability, and more. Bring your thorough, practiced understanding of DevOps and Cloud to help shape The RealReal’s production infrastructure and Technology culture!
** This position is open to remote anywhere in the U.S. **
What You Get To Do Every Day
- Design, build, and evolve our production infrastructure, strategically employing automation, and infrastructure-as-code.
- Design, build and evolve our code pipelines, designing and building automation in order to enable agile software development, using self-service where possible.
- Collaborate efficiently and effectively with Engineers and Product teams on complex problems involving functionality and scaling/performance. Drive ad-hoc troubleshooting teams towards solutions during emergency production incidents.
- Advocate for and enforce compliance with 12 Factor methodology in our apps, convincing stakeholders and engineers to use best practices.
- Lead the technical design of projects assigned, pulling in Technical and Non-Technical staff as necessary.
- Quickly absorb context and tribal knowledge while ramping up and using that to build or bolster documentation. Turns obscure tribal knowledge into well-known and understood collective knowledge.
- Keep a strong level of quality and velocity in your work, while collaborating and reporting when appropriate.
- Exercise and promote security best practices
- Participate in an on-call rotation on a regular basis and respond to incidents reliably and professionally. Lead technical troubleshooting if necessary
What You Bring To The Role
- 5+ years of DevOps or Systems Administration experience
- Significant experience (4+ years) building and maintaining highly available cloud infrastructure across multiple regions in AWS and/or GCP
- A self-described expert in automating repeatable processes using popular languages such as bash, python, or other preferred languages
- In-depth and expansive knowledge of Hashicorp Terraform
- Detailed understanding of packaging, deploying and supporting containerized (Docker) applications using the latest orchestration tools
- Experience building Continuous Integration / Continuous Deployment workflows deploying microservices to production to allow our developers to focus on building products
- Experience working with Data Engineering and Data Science teams to build out infrastructure to support data pipelines
- Having worked closely with Development organizations, a deep understanding of the software development lifecycle, experience using SDLC-style development in infrastructure automation
- Extensive use of git and Github workflows and knowledge about GitOps
- Understanding of database performance in production with experience supporting cloud-based MySQL or PostgreSQL (ie., AWS RDS, AWS Aurora RDS, GCP Cloud SQL)
- Experience tuning and troubleshooting performance for high traffic web services using diagnostic tools such as APM, browser monitoring, logging, observability, etc.
- Strong awareness and understanding of common network protocols, including HTTP, HTTPS, TCP, SSL/TLS, and how they are used
- Knowledge and implementation of Hashicorp tools besides Terraform, such as Vault
Want to learn more about our team at The RealReal? Check out our Technology & Product Blog!
The RealReal is the world’s largest online marketplace for authenticated, resale luxury goods, with more than 20 million members. With a rigorous authentication process overseen by experts, The RealReal provides a safe and reliable platform for consumers to buy and sell their luxury items. We have hundreds of in-house gemologists, horologists and brand authenticators who inspect thousands of items each day. As a sustainable company, we give new life to pieces by thousands of brands across numerous categories—including women's and men's fashion, fine jewelry and watches, art and home—in support of the circular economy. We make selling effortless with free virtual appointments, in-home pickup, drop-off and direct shipping. We do all of the work for consignors, including authenticating, using AI and machine learning to determine optimal pricing, photographing and listing their items, as well as handling shipping and customer service. At our 13 retail locations, including our eight shoppable stores, customers can sell, meet with our experts and receive free valuations.
The RealReal is committed to providing an equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or Veteran status. We will consider qualified applicants for a position regardless of arrest or conviction records, consistent with legal requirements.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. GHR4142