This position is for an hourly 1099 contractor, targeting 40 hours per week. Domestic and international candidates within North or South America are welcome to apply.
We are looking for a collaborative and curious Senior Software Engineer to join our team! As a luxury consignment and eCommerce company, almost everything we sell at The RealReal is unique. Every day we receive tens of thousands of items in our nationwide warehouses; This presents a unique set of challenges as every item we process must be treated individually.
Some of the optimization challenges associated with having unique items with unique conditions are that every item must be photographed, every item must have its unique description, and must be carefully priced based on condition. Along with these exciting technical challenges, we also have multiple eCommerce centers and stores where we are figuring out how to optimize storage and shipping across multiple locations, optimize tools to empower our employees, and automate or remove redundant work that can make our processes faster. We also have sophisticated outbound processes in place for our warehouses, where items are picked, sorted, and shipped with the assistance of both our Admin tools and iOS apps for the people on the floor.
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer who brings a fresh point-of-view, enjoys learning every day, and is excited about solving challenging problems for the company.
What You Get To Do Every Day
- Build tools and technology for the unique problems of inventory management, logistics, and order fulfillment
- Create new and innovative systems alongside streamlining and optimizing current processes
- Experience working in the latest technology, a ubiquitous culture based upon data, and a team of dedicated team members ready to collaborate
- Build software tools for better reporting and telemetry on our warehouse processes
- Build tools that support our operations and logistics teams to efficiently sort, pick, pack, and ship orders
- Contribute to solutions that aid in the tracking and retrieval of hundreds of thousands of consigned items across multiple warehouses
What You Bring To The Role
- 5+ Years experience in a Software Engineering role
- Strong understanding of building production-ready web applications and systems
- Fluency with any of Ruby, Elixir, Erlang
- Strong understanding of web-app performance fundamentals and related dev tools
- Mastery of git and Github workflows
- Bachelor of Computer Science degree or equivalent experience
Nice to Haves
- Experience building Operations and Logistics applications
- Experience with GraphQL
- Experience with Kafka
The RealReal is the world’s largest online marketplace for authenticated, resale luxury goods, with more than 20 million members. With a rigorous authentication process overseen by experts, The RealReal provides a safe and reliable platform for consumers to buy and sell their luxury items. We have hundreds of in-house gemologists, horologists and brand authenticators who inspect thousands of items each day. As a sustainable company, we give new life to pieces by thousands of brands across numerous categories—including women's and men's fashion, fine jewelry and watches, art and home—in support of the circular economy. We make selling effortless with free virtual appointments, in-home pickup, drop-off and direct shipping. We do all of the work for consignors, including authenticating, using AI and machine learning to determine optimal pricing, photographing and listing their items, as well as handling shipping and customer service. At our 13 retail locations, including our eight shoppable stores, customers can sell, meet with our experts and receive free valuations.
The RealReal is committed to providing an equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or Veteran status. We will consider qualified applicants for a position regardless of arrest or conviction records, consistent with legal requirements. GHR4085