At The RealReal, authenticity is the ethos of our expertise and guides our moral character, credibility, and history both individually and through our holistic vision. The Lead Valuation Manager, Comics, Trading Cards & Collectables is an expert whose methodology is firmly founded in the scientific method, ensuring ingenuity, quality control, and self-correction
Key areas of responsibility include ensuring a luxurious client experience for consignor appointments, advanced knowledge in the identification and authentication for trading cards, comic books, figurines, and collectables, and proficient understanding of pricing for the secondary market. The Lead Valuation Manager should have an entrepreneurial spirit, advanced scientific knowledge within their category, consistently strive to build upon their expertise and teach customers and consignors about their respective category. Above all, you embody The RealReal’s culture through collaboration, driving results and building for the future.
What You Get To Do Every Day
- Facilitate Luxury Consignment Office appointments, work with clients to provide a relaxed non-contentious experience that educates them on the value of their items in our marketplace; communicate pricing and authentication methodologies in a live appointment setting
- Responsible for strong partnerships across the organization (Authentication, Merchandising, Pricing, Operations) to build out guidelines and ensure alignment on processes in regards to pricing, authentication and acceptance standards
- Contribute to content creation for PR, marketing and creative initiatives
- Contribute content to develop training materials, authentication standards, and guidance on industry standards
- Support and make training outlines/plans for new hires and support through the process. See through to the end of training and shadow to give feedback/build
- Open to regional travel per office needs and local satellite events
What You Bring To The Role
- Experience in identification and authentication for trading cards, comic books, figurines, and collectables, and proficient understanding of pricing for the secondary market; 7-10 years experience preferred
- Passion for delivering a luxury experience each and every day. A high degree of business acumen, sophistication, and the ability to quickly establish trust with consignors
- Prior experience working in a customer facing role
- Effective communicator (both verbal and written)
- Team player able to work effectively and collaboratively across all departments to meet goals and deadlines
- Demonstrates the skill and willingness to take initiative and to proactively anticipate organizational needs including the ability to meet external and internal deadlines as required.
- Ability to foresee potential obstacles well in advance of campaign launch dates and to problem solve in order to ensure proper execution of Valuation office processes
- Prior management experience preferred
The RealReal is the world’s largest online marketplace for authenticated, consigned luxury goods. With a rigorous authentication process overseen by experts, The RealReal provides a safe and reliable platform for consumers to buy and sell their luxury items. We have 150+ in-house gemologists, horologists and brand authenticators who inspect thousands of items each day. As a sustainable company, we give new life to pieces by hundreds of brands, from Gucci to Cartier, supporting the circular economy. We make consigning effortless with free in-home pickup, drop-off service and direct shipping for individual consignors and estates. At our stores in Brooklyn, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York City, Newport Beach, Palo Alto and San Francisco, customers can shop, consign, and meet with our experts. At our 13 Luxury Consignment Offices, eight of which are in our retail stores, our expert staff provides free valuations. Founded in 2011 and listed publicly in 2019 (Nasdaq: REAL), we’re growing fast and fundamentally changing the way people buy and sell luxury — a multi-billion dollar industry. Build your career with us and enjoy 401K matching, health, dental and vision insurance, commuter flex spending, healthcare flex spending, generous PTO, a mother’s room, and flexible work hours!
The RealReal is committed to providing an equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, or Veteran status. We will consider qualified applicants for a position regardless of arrest or conviction records, consistent with legal requirements.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.